Aero Not Working after upgrading nvidia driver to 296.10 RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading to nVidia driver version 296.10 my aero stopped working.  The troubleshooter reports that the DWM service is not running.  Troubleshooter starts the service, but still shows that the problem is not resolved.  Manually stopping and starting DWM does not solve the problem.

Detailed text from troubleshooter:

Desktop Window Manager is disabled
    Detected
    Detected
    The Desktop Window Manager must be enabled in order to display Aero desktop effects such as transparency.
    Enable the Desktop Window Manager
    Completed
    Enabling the Desktop Window Manager will enable Aero effects such as transparency.

System Specifications:

• Windows 7 Enterprise x64
    • HP DV7t-1000
    • Core2Duo 2.0 GHz
    • nVidia GeForce 9800mGT 512 MB
    • 4 GB DDR2 system memory
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 6:01 AM

Answers

• done it, tried half a dozen older versions, including the previously known working version, not one of them worked.  Ended up completely re-installing windows.  now 296.10 works just fine.
    • Marked as answer by ShuRugal Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:07 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The latest nVidia driver may have compatibility issue with Aero. Please roll back the driver to check the result.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_rollback.html

If the issue is resolved by the old driver, you need to contact Nvidia support for help.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Niki Han Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ShuRugal Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:06 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:02 AM
  • done it, tried half a dozen older versions, including the previously known working version, not one of them worked.  Ended up completely re-installing windows.  now 296.10 works just fine.
    • Marked as answer by ShuRugal Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:07 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:07 PM
  • My Aero effects also stopped working after the latest nVidia driver update.  The thing that finally got it to work again was uninstalling AirDisplay, the software for an iPad app that I haven't used in months.  I noticed that on one part of my monitor the mouse would disappear from the screen like it would if I had another display so it finally occurred to me that AirDisplay was running again.  I uninstalled it, rebooted and everything is back to normal.

I have just been living with no Aero for about a month but I finally figured it out today.

Just out of curiousity, did you have AirDisplay installed?

• Proposed as answer by SteveOssy Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:11 PM
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Hey I have Air Display as well and was having a similar issue with my GTX 570. Fixed it in a pinch.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Yeah pretty much if you have a display adaptor driver such as ASUS OSD or Air Display, iDisplay you will often find it is conflicting with the existing Nvidia Driver. You'll need to uninstall iDisplay or similar drivers for Nvidia to work with Aero. By the way, make sure you're using Nvidia Driver 306.97 it was released recently and is recommended.

• Edited by Hunterfex Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:53 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Hunterfex Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:53 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Thank you! Been having trouble all day after updating Nvidia drivers and un installing Air Display solved it! 
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:13 PM