How do people handle Response Group Voice Mail? RRS feed

• Question

• If a call to a Response Group goes unanswered then that call should be directed to a voice mail box.

Is it possible to utilise a 'Group' Voice Mail box whereas all members of that Group get Outlook notification of a new Voice Mail? If we send the call to someone's personal VM then it could be some time before it's actioned.

What do people out there do to handle unanswered calls to a Response Group number?

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:48 PM

Answers

• You can create a group mail box in Exchange that can be enabled for UM to accept voicemail from Lync. You will need to enable the same group mailbox for lync and enable forwarding to voicemail by logoning on with the account at least once but once its setup you can leave it be. But it can be done.

Cheers

Chris

http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Tim Chapman Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tim Chapman Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tim Chapman Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:51 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:02 AM
  • I have done exactly that but taken it one step further by configuring Exchange transport rules to forward voicemail delivered to the group mailbox to the Response Group members via distribution group.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:15 PM

All replies

• My personal opinion – unanswered calls should be routed to the Group’s manager, who in return will task an employee to handle. Unfortunately, this is not the case and we were pressed to create “dummy” departmental accounts and supply the group with the account’s extension and PIN, where the group’s members can dial and check for voicemail. Again, this is against any common sense since introduces “group responsibility” i.e. “I don’t feel like checking right now, let’s hope someone else will…” and lesser security, but hey, we all have bosses…

Hopefully Microsoft will move voicemail to Lync (Wave 15) since this would provide greater possibility to handle case like this.

Drago

http://ocsdude.blogspot.com | MVP Snom OCS Edition
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:46 AM
  • You can create a group mail box in Exchange that can be enabled for UM to accept voicemail from Lync. You will need to enable the same group mailbox for lync and enable forwarding to voicemail by logoning on with the account at least once but once its setup you can leave it be. But it can be done.

Cheers

Chris

Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:02 AM
  • I have done exactly that but taken it one step further by configuring Exchange transport rules to forward voicemail delivered to the group mailbox to the Response Group members via distribution group.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Thanks all,

It sounds a bit clumsy but do-able.

I think this is a piece of the 'PBX replacement' jigsaw that is missing. There doesn't seem to be recognition that Hunt Groups need Group Voice Mail. Maybe in a later release

Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Hi

I’ve tried above solution. However the queue time out is not taking effect.

The call will just drop instead being forwarded to the voicemail of the generic account after 10 sec.

Has anyone had the same issue?

Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:12 AM
  • Wow it seems there are too many SIP and/or AD objects that need to be created for this type of process. I'm at the same point and trying to make sense of it all...

1) LYNC users need AD accounts, Exchange mailbox, enterprise voice extension.

2) LYNC users are part of distribution groups already, which are being used for auto-membership in LYNC Response Groups.

3) Hunt groups are created to allow group calling to the RG members. the HG's now need their own unique SIP address to get a SIP #.

4) Unanswered calls to the HG's (which are really just fronts for the RGs), need to now go to a separate dummy AD user, with its own dummy SIP details and Exchange mailbox.

5) Now we need to then use Exchange Transport rules for each of the dummy voicemail user to send the mailbox contents to the distribution list from step 2.

Crazy! Why can't we just say if the call is not answered from step 4, send the voicemail to the distribution group that is a member of the RG to begin with? Or at least to each individual group member as an option if not using a distribution group?

Friday, April 29, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Jamie,

Doesn't this lead to the same voicemail being delivered to every member of the group, hence you may get 5 people action the voice mail individually? Is not better to make the group mailbox a shared mailbox that all users see, and then if a mail is actioned the users can flag/delete/colour code the email as required. This is what we are doing.

As for creating dummy mailboxes, what I've found is there is often a mail based service already in place to mirror a telephony huntgroup such as 'IT Support' or 'Reception' so these are logical mailboxes to use forthese functions. Lync gives us the opportunity to intgegrate all these services via ExchangeUM so it can be a real plus,

Jed

Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Jed,

You are correct. The method I described requires that the group members communicate to avoid duplicated responses to the message. The alternative would be a shared mailbox or public folder which requires that the users are trained to check the shared location regularly.

Jamie

Thursday, May 5, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Hi VoIPnorm

I am trying to do what you are explaining, but what do you mean with

"enable forwarding to voicemail by logoning on with the account at least once"

How do i log on, and where?

as i sad, (i think) we are trying to do what you explaint, but we dont get it to work, when the call is supposed to be transfered to voicemail it disconnect instead of going to voicemail. if i put in my voicemail address henrik@contoso.com it works fine, but i would like the mailbox of Info@contoso.com to work instead.

We are using Lync 2010 and Exchange 2010

Please advice

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Hi Henrik,

I mean log on to Lync using the group mailbox account that you have enabled for Lync. This is only to setup call forwarding. Then you can log off. This was the method for OCS, with Lync you maybe able to set this with powershell as well.

Cheers

Chris

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:51 PM