IE 11 not working with Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I did my upgrade on my home Lenovo and regular IE no longer works. I searched and have found other people having the same issue, but no resolution on how to fix. I got a MS help person on chat, let them take over my machine for a while and they couldn't fix it either. I tried the unclicking of IE 11 from the Windows Features, rebooted, and then re-clicked it to reinstall and it still doesn't work.  The fact that the upgrade didn't just "work" has my husband wanting me to just revert to Win 7. I don't want to do that but need a DIY "fix" for this. I also work for MS so it's extra frustrating to know that our customers must be having these issues as well and our help desk (at least the complimentary version) couldn't help.

Please come up with an easy fix I can apply!  Thanks! 

Saturday, November 21, 2015 8:49 PM

Answers

• Not sure what has been tried but does it open without add-ons? in the search type 'iexplore -extoff' (without quote) that will be iexplore -extoff Run Command press enter or choose that. If it runs without add-ons then open 'Programs and Features' (where you removed IE) and any toolbars \ IE add-ons installed?
    • Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Thursday, December 3, 2015 10:13 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2015 9:48 PM
  •   IE11 works fine for me in Windows 10. Have you tried doing a reinstall by removing IE11 (from Programs and Features) and then installing again? That has solved IE problems for me in the past.

Bill

Saturday, November 21, 2015 10:16 PM
  • Hello,

You can try resetting IE to default and see if this helps you:

http://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-reset-internet-explorer

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:09 AM
    Sunday, November 22, 2015 2:58 AM
  • Hi Patty,

Any error message or symptoms when you launch Internet Explorer?

Please run these command:

sfc /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

After that, please check and install all available Windows updates to try again.

In addition, if you upgrade to Windows 10 in one month, you’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from Settings > Update & security > Recovery. This will keep your personal files, but it'll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 23, 2015 8:09 AM

All replies

• Not sure what has been tried but does it open without add-ons? in the search type 'iexplore -extoff' (without quote) that will be iexplore -extoff Run Command press enter or choose that. If it runs without add-ons then open 'Programs and Features' (where you removed IE) and any toolbars \ IE add-ons installed?
    Saturday, November 21, 2015 9:48 PM
  •   IE11 works fine for me in Windows 10. Have you tried doing a reinstall by removing IE11 (from Programs and Features) and then installing again? That has solved IE problems for me in the past.

Bill

Saturday, November 21, 2015 10:16 PM
  • Hello,

You can try resetting IE to default and see if this helps you:

http://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-reset-internet-explorer

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

Sunday, November 22, 2015 2:58 AM
  • Hi Patty,

Any error message or symptoms when you launch Internet Explorer?

Please run these command:

sfc /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

After that, please check and install all available Windows updates to try again.

In addition, if you upgrade to Windows 10 in one month, you’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows from Settings > Update & security > Recovery. This will keep your personal files, but it'll remove apps and drivers installed after the upgrade, as well as any changes you made to settings.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 23, 2015 8:09 AM