sending an auto email if CPU usage crosses 80% RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Friends,

I was trying to setup a  simple scenario on my Hyper-V VM to send an auto email if CPU usage crosses 80% consistently for 5 mins. I got stuck up in SMTP/email configuration. My VM is win2k8r2 & sql 2k8 r2. This is what I did..

1.       Installed SMTP feature

2.       Configured a Data Collector Alert on Processor counter; alert action being to log an event in Application Log.

3.       I then navigated to the application event log, right clicked and “Attach Task to this Event”

4.       I configure the task with all default and in Actions – I chose to “Send an email”

5.       “Send an email” has very simple configuration like, From, To, etc and the SMTP Server which is were, I think, is all the problem.

6.       I tried setting SMTP Server to all possible values like IP address, localhost, etc – but mail sending failed.

7.       I tried to configuring the SMTP server (virtual) using IIS 7 console – but that did not work either.

I am clueless how can I send email using the SMTP feature – looked into many resources on the net and tried various combinations, but in vain. Can anyone assist?

I think the above are 2 many steps to for a simple requirement. Is there another simple mechanism to shoot an email when the a particular process crosses 80% CPU usage for 5 mins consistently?

Regards

Amit

Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Amit,

As SMTP related settings are included in IIS configuration, it is recommanded to post your question to IIS forum instead:

http://forums.iis.net/

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 7:34 AM