none
BitLocker Drive Encryption failed to recover from an abruptly terminated conversion. RRS feed

• Question

• At first, I don't need to recover my data, I just want my drive back to re-use it.

How can a format my USB drive including all boot sectors which sees to be locked/write-protected by bitlocker?

My problem starts with encrypting my drive by activating bitlocker. At 30% of encryption the process halts without reason. Now, I'm unable to access my drive or resume the process.

I have the password and recovery key, but this show incorrect password & This Key do not match.

I tried...

... To format with windows

.. Remove with <gs class="GINGER_SOFTWARE_mark" ginger_software_uiphraseguid="91522b1f-f97f-4f14-9aaa-82b989a26555" id="3a5563e6-2f00-463a-bb79-d71343cde8c2">diskmgmt</gs>

... Remove with <gs class="GINGER_SOFTWARE_mark" ginger_software_uiphraseguid="c945dd85-1fcb-4b1a-a32f-32c5f8ca6d0d" id="56de48d4-3635-4890-88f7-57b0b1a4af14">diskpart</gs>

... Repair-Bde

... Manage-bed

... Ubuntu live CD

... Mass production tool software, to override the whole stick

Nothing worked. The only thing which worked was once the software M3 Bitlocker recovery Free, but just one time to access the locked partition. But, as mentioned, I don't need to recover my data. With that tool, I'm not able to wipe the drive.

That Bitlocker protects my data till the end is good, but that it breaks my data and my hardware in such a case is not fair.

How can I break the write-protection mode to finally wipe the hard drive?

• Edited by Ashu Mann Wednesday, April 4, 2018 7:47 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hello Ashu Mann,

The easiest way to get your USB drive working again is to format it using diskpart.

1. Open an elevated command prompt

2. Enter diskpart

3. Once the diskpart prompt opens, enter list disk

4. Check which disk is your USB drive and type select disk x (replace x with the number of your disk)

5. Type clean

6. Create a partition by entering create partition primary

7. Select your created partition by entering select partition 1

8. Activate the partition by entering active

9. Format the drive by entering format=ntfs label=stick quick (you can also format in fat32 or change the name of your stick by changing the stick to whatever name you want to give it)

10. Assign a drive letter to your stick once more by entering assign letter=x

After that you should be able to use your stick again.

Regards,

Thomas

Please remember to mark the post(s), which answered your question.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 8:29 AM
  • Hi,

If you can't boot right now, you can use a bootable repair disc to boot your machine and go to Repair your computer. Then open Command Propmt and type the command below:

manage-bde -status c: to check the Bitlocker status.

manage-bde -unlock c: -rp <your 48-digit recovery password> to unlock the drive,

then disable it manage-bde -protectors -disable c:

If it doesn't help, try HardcoreCheese's suggestions to format the dirve. Here is reference:

https://superuser.com/questions/408809/how-to-format-a-drive-encrypted-with-bitlocker

Please note that since it is a 3-party website, we provide it just for your convience.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

What is going on? Any updates?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 6, 2018 9:15 AM