none
Unable to install DPM SQL instance 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are in the process of upgrading our DPM 2007 Setup to DPM 2010.

When we setup dpm 2007, we used a local copy of sql 2005 that was already installed instead of having dpm create an instance.  

When we are running the setup for dpm 2010, it is only letting us select the option to use an instance instance of sql 2008 (which i have now installed on this machine).   However the installer says I can only use a remote instance of SQL which I do not have.

What do I need to do to get this installed and upgrade my current DPM setup?

Friday, June 18, 2010 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just curious, did you pre-install the local SQL Server 2008 instance in accordance to the following guidelines/ steps ?

Installing a Remote Instance of SQL Server 2008
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399612.aspx

Anyhow, as a workaround, you can save DPMDB, uninstall DPM 2007, Uninstall SQL 2008, then reinstall DPM 2007 on the server, but this time let DPM install the default instance of SQL 2005. Install DPM 2007 patches, Restore DPMDB, then do the DPM 2010 upgrade.

Please review ALL of the steps below before proceeding, if you have any doubts, let me know.

The following links contain more information, but the steps below are precise enough for you to proceed with the re-installation of DPM 2007.

How to Recover DPM Databases

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808944.aspx

Repairing DPM 2007

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808769.aspx

Install DPM 2007

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808735.aspx

NOTE:  Make sure you are running the latest DPM 2007 QFE KB979970.  The version of this QFE if you click the i  Icon on the DPM console should say 2.0.8864.0.  If you need to install that, do so then update all the AGENTS before proceeding.   You will need to re-install  DPM SP1(KB959605) + KB979970 after re-installing DPM 2007, but not the agents.

·        Open a command prompt and run C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\DpmBackup.exe –db. This will create a DPMDB.bak backup and place it in C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups folder.  (should be a file called dpmdb.bak with todays date)

·        Copy the DPMDB.bak to a different Disk or preferably to a different machine just for safe keepings.

·        Uninstall DPM 2007 and choose the “Retain data” option – Important!   Otherwise uninstall will delete replica data!

·        Open SQL Server Management Studio, connect to the Custom instance of SQL you used for DPM and under DATABASES,  Right-click the msdpm database, then under tasks, choose take OFFLINE, then choose the DELETE option.

·        Go to C:\program files\Microsoft dpm\DPM\DPMDB and Rename the database MDF and LDF files, we can delete them later if you like to free up disk space.

·    Uninstall SQL 2008 so DPM 2010 can install it later.        

·        Install DPM 2007 again using default instance of SQL 2005 that DPM installs. Reboot.

·        Installed DPM 2007 SP1 (KB959605). Reboot. 

·        Install the most recent DPM update KB979970 you were running before removing DPM 2007. 

At this point, you have a fresh DPM 2007 install that is patched, but doesn’t know about the old data. Now we need to restore the original DPM DB:

·        Open a command prompt and change to C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin.

Run DpmSync –restoredb –dbloc <DPMDB location>, and then press ENTER.  See example below.

DpmSync –restoredb –dbloc  “C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups\dpmdb.bak”

·        Once the above command completes run C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\DpmSync –sync.

·        Open the DPM console. You will notice all the data sources will show as inconsistent and will require consistency checks to be ran.

·   Now upgrade to DPM 2010.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 11:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm thinking the install workflow during the upgrade if you have DPM 2007 using a custom install of SQL 2005 locally is going to be the same as if you were using a remote instance, however, just point DPM 2010 setup to the local SQL 2008 instance.

I have not personally tried this, so let me know if this works or if additional steps are required.

You will need to prepare the local SQL 2008 instance by restoring a copy of the DPM 2007 DPMDB  to SQL 2008 instance as follows.  Make sure SQL 2008 is already on Sp1.

1. Using SQL Server Management Studio for SQL 2005 - Connect to the DPM 2007 instance on the local machine.
    2. Right-click the DPMDB database, point to Tasks, and then select the Back Up sub task.
    3. On the Back Up Database page, at the bottom, select the Disk radio button and click Add.
    4. By default it will back up the database to %SQLInstallationPath%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup.  You will need to give it a path and name that you will remember.  Click OK to close out these windows and run the backup.
    5. Using SQL Server Management Studio for SQL 2008, connect to the new instance of SQL Server 2008.
    6. Right-click databases.
    7. Select Restore database…
    8. In the To database box, enter DPMDB.
    9. Click on the From Device box, and then navigate to the DPMDB backup location you chose in step 4 above.   Put a check in the box to restore this selected db.
    10. Click on Options in the upper left and change the database files paths so they are in the current instance folder.
    11. Select the backup sets, and then click OK.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

I was able to get past the SQL page by putting the instance name in lowercase letters.

after that i get the error:

Report configuration failed.

Verify that SQL Server Reporting Services is installed properly and that it is running.

ID: 812,

i've actually verified that report services is running and that it is accessible on http,  i've also modified the rsreportservices.cfg as suggested in other posts.

the one thing i did notice in the setup log is:

[6/18/2010 5:10:49 PM] * Exception :  => Report configuration failed.Verify that SQL Server Reporting Services is installed properly and that it is running.Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.BackEndErrorException: exception ---> Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Exceptions.ReportDeploymentException: exception ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.

it looks like DPM is sending the wrong type of data???

i've done 3 DPM 2010 upgrades and have not run into these sort of problems.   THoughts?

Friday, June 18, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Hi,

Just curious, did you pre-install the local SQL Server 2008 instance in accordance to the following guidelines/ steps ?

Installing a Remote Instance of SQL Server 2008
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399612.aspx

Anyhow, as a workaround, you can save DPMDB, uninstall DPM 2007, Uninstall SQL 2008, then reinstall DPM 2007 on the server, but this time let DPM install the default instance of SQL 2005. Install DPM 2007 patches, Restore DPMDB, then do the DPM 2010 upgrade.

Please review ALL of the steps below before proceeding, if you have any doubts, let me know.

The following links contain more information, but the steps below are precise enough for you to proceed with the re-installation of DPM 2007.

How to Recover DPM Databases

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808944.aspx

Repairing DPM 2007

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808769.aspx

Install DPM 2007

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808735.aspx

NOTE:  Make sure you are running the latest DPM 2007 QFE KB979970.  The version of this QFE if you click the i  Icon on the DPM console should say 2.0.8864.0.  If you need to install that, do so then update all the AGENTS before proceeding.   You will need to re-install  DPM SP1(KB959605) + KB979970 after re-installing DPM 2007, but not the agents.

·        Open a command prompt and run C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\DpmBackup.exe –db. This will create a DPMDB.bak backup and place it in C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups folder.  (should be a file called dpmdb.bak with todays date)

·        Copy the DPMDB.bak to a different Disk or preferably to a different machine just for safe keepings.

·        Uninstall DPM 2007 and choose the “Retain data” option – Important!   Otherwise uninstall will delete replica data!

·        Open SQL Server Management Studio, connect to the Custom instance of SQL you used for DPM and under DATABASES,  Right-click the msdpm database, then under tasks, choose take OFFLINE, then choose the DELETE option.

·        Go to C:\program files\Microsoft dpm\DPM\DPMDB and Rename the database MDF and LDF files, we can delete them later if you like to free up disk space.

·    Uninstall SQL 2008 so DPM 2010 can install it later.        

·        Install DPM 2007 again using default instance of SQL 2005 that DPM installs. Reboot.

·        Installed DPM 2007 SP1 (KB959605). Reboot. 

·        Install the most recent DPM update KB979970 you were running before removing DPM 2007. 

At this point, you have a fresh DPM 2007 install that is patched, but doesn’t know about the old data. Now we need to restore the original DPM DB:

·        Open a command prompt and change to C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin.

Run DpmSync –restoredb –dbloc <DPMDB location>, and then press ENTER.  See example below.

DpmSync –restoredb –dbloc  “C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups\dpmdb.bak”

·        Once the above command completes run C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\DpmSync –sync.

·        Open the DPM console. You will notice all the data sources will show as inconsistent and will require consistency checks to be ran.

·   Now upgrade to DPM 2010.

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:32 PM
  • Hi,

I actually reinstalled the SQL instance following the steps in the article and I was able to get everything going correctly.

Thanks!

Monday, June 21, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Very nice - thanks for the update.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:34 PM