Specific user cannot logon to S4B(Office 365) on any client. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Mind my technical inferiority on how i deliver my question here.

We have a Exchange online user which for some reason cannot logon to S4B on client(on any windows-client), he has no problem using S4B online via mobile devices or via Office online(as in owa and such).

He had no issues until we reinstalled his computer(for malware), as we implemented the new Windows 10 image and tested s4b we noticed he could not log in. We presume that he's had this issue for some time and did not notice until we reinstalled the client.

What i've tried to do:
    Compared every attribute with a functional AD-user to the one that is not functioning correctly.

Can you please point in which direction i should be looking at?

Tldr:
    User can not log on to Skype for business on any clients, however he can access it via Portal.office.com or via mobile device.

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: We use ADFS.
    • Edited by Taakish Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:08 AM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:03 AM

Answers

• Hmm interesting 

Lets do this 

First we will connect to Exchange online (Let see if we are able to connect) --> We wil get two information from this. 1)We will come to know if the user is hidden from GAL and if Sip address is added as an additional email address

1. Run powershell as an admin

2. Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned (It will prompt you to accept- Type Y and hit enter)

3. $Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

4. Import-PSSession $Session

Once you connect to Exchange online then run below command 

Get-mailbox "Affecteduser@contoso.com" | fl Hidden*, email*, prim* and share the output (Instead of actual domain name > You can modify it to c dont want us to know abt ur dmain name)

Once you are connected successfully to exchange we will then use step:- 3 to 8 from earlier post.

MCSA Office 365 | MCSA Exchange server 2010 | Red Hat Certified Engineer

• Proposed as answer by Akabe Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Taakish Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:39 PM

All replies

• what error message does the user get while signing into SFB client 

What happens when a working user tries to sign in to affected user's machine?

Can you post Get-csonlineuser output 

• Edited by Akabe Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:10 AM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Hi Akabe, thanks for fast response.

It's a generic error message "Could not log in to Skype for Business. You could not log in. Maybe you wrote the wrong address or login credentials, try again. Contact Support Team if it still does not work."(translated from swedish to english)

In all honesty i have no idea where i can get the GET-CS module.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:04 AM
  • No worries. We all are learning:)

See below article. This will help you connect to Office 365 services (Exchange/SFB online and more)

- https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn568015.aspx

Look for step-5

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:15 AM
  • Thanks again Akabe,

This error message is returned when i use "Import-Module SKypeOnlineConnector":

"Import-Module SkypeOnlineConnector
    Import-Module : The specified module 'SkypeOnlineConnector' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in
    any module directory.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Import-Module SkypeOnlineConnector"

I've followed the guide, Shell is started as administrator and logged on to msol with the credentials. Am i doing something wrong?

Again i appreciate your help :)

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:05 AM
  • Do below:-

2. $credential = Get-Credential (This wil be your Global Admin account)
    3. Import-Module MsOnline
    4. Get-Module (You would see MSONLINE Module listed there)
    5. Connect-MsolService -Credential $credential
    6. Import-Module SkypeOnlineConnector
    7. $sfboSession = New-CsOnlineSession -Credential $credential
    8. Import-PSSession $sfboSession

Once that is done run below command 

Get-CsOnlineUser sip:affecteduser@domain.com| fl enabled, *sip*, *Hide*, registrarpool, EnabledForRichPresence. ProxyAddresses

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:33 AM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:25 AM
  • Taakish,

Where you able to connect?

Main focus is to see if the user is enabled for SFB, does he have a valid SIP address and also see if this user is not hidden from GAL 

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:11 PM
  • Hi Akabe,

I always get stuck at paragraph 6. Same error message:

Import-Module : The specified module 'SkypeOnlineConnector' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in
    any module directory.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Import-Module SkypeOnlineConnector
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (SkypeOnlineConnector:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundExceptio
       n
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:36 AM
  • Hmmm.

I guess u are using an older version of powershell

Try to download below powershell module and then run above commands 

- http://connect.microsoft.com/site1164/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=59185

In the article try to download below file:-

AdministrationConfig-V1.1.166.0-GA.msi

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:57 AM
  • Ah appreciate it, the above did not work so i actually got the module from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39366 instead.

However... now i'm stuck at paragraph 7 $sfboSession = New-CsOnlineSession -Credential $credential. It can't resolve "lyncdiscover.domain.se".

I have not setup this whole shebang, so i might come across as a very incompetent person infront of you, and i apologize for this.

But i would appreciate continued help. :)

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:04 PM
  • We have made good progress. We are in this together my friend 

Its alright we will get there 

Couple of questions?

The first step > Did you provide your O365 admin credentials?

Also the article that you referred to > Did you first install Windows Powershell 3.0 and remove the older power-shell that would be below 3.0?

Check the current version of powershell that you are using

• Edited by Akabe Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:10 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:10 PM
  • Indeed we are!

First step: I did provide my o365-creds(admin)

My current PS-version: 

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
    -----  -----  -----  --------
    5      0      10586  672

On step 7, the following error message is provided:

Get-CsPowerShellEndpoint : The remote name could not be resolved: 'lyncdiscover.domain.se'
    At C:\Program Files\Common Files\Skype for Business
    Online\Modules\SkypeOnlineConnector\SkypeOnlineConnectorStartup.psm1:94 char:26
    + ...      $targetUri = Get-CsPowerShellEndpoint -TargetDomain $adminDomain
    +                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-CsPowerShellEndpoint], WebException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.Net.WebException,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.OnlineConnector.GetPowerShellEndpointCm
       dlet

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:25 PM
  • Hmm interesting 

Lets do this 

First we will connect to Exchange online (Let see if we are able to connect) --> We wil get two information from this. 1)We will come to know if the user is hidden from GAL and if Sip address is added as an additional email address

2. Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned (It will prompt you to accept- Type Y and hit enter)

3. $Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $UserCredential -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

4. Import-PSSession $Session

Once you connect to Exchange online then run below command 

Get-mailbox "Affecteduser@contoso.com" | fl Hidden*, email*, prim* and share the output (Instead of actual domain name > You can modify it to c dont want us to know abt ur dmain name)

Once you are connected successfully to exchange we will then use step:- 3 to 8 from earlier post.

• Marked as answer by Taakish Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Get-mailbox "Affecteduser@contoso.com" | fl Hidden*, email*, prim*:

HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled : False
    EmailAddresses                : {SIP:firstname.lastname@domain.com(it should be .se.... Maybe this is the issue(i might be very stupid and have not even tried .com)),
                                    x500:/o=Domain/ou=STOCKHOLM/cn=Recipients/cn=SamAccount,
                                    smtp:SamAccount@domainOnline.onmicrosoft.com, smtp:firstname.lastname@domain.dk...}
    EmailAddressPolicyEnabled     : False
    PrimarySmtpAddress            : firstname.lastname@domain.se

____

So i tried with .com on a different client, and it actually seems to work. However, mind helping me on changing SIP from .com to .se?

• Edited by Taakish Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:02 PM
  • Nice High five 

We did find the problem. Kool

Now open Exchange Admin Center with your Global Admin account (Https://outlook.office365.com/ecp) > Navigate to Recipients > Mailboxes > Find the affected user mailbox > Double click on the mailbox > It will open a new windows > Email address > Remove the SIP email address > Save it > Then open the properties of the mailbox again > This time add the correct sip address SIP:first.last@domain.se > Hit save 

If this does not help then in the exiting powershell session try to add SFB powershell commands and i think it should allow you to SFB module 

The sip address should match the primary address 

• Edited by Akabe Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:09 PM
  • Since we run hybrid solution, i had to do that change on-prem.

Akabe... Thank you tons! You've been very helpful. How do i contribute to your points?
    Is there anything i can do for you? :)

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:22 PM
  • You welcome Taakish 

Hybrid --> Did not think abt it sorry 

You just need to change the SIP address in local Ad > Sync it > You should be good to go 

Well i appreciate your kind words 

You can just mark correct answers. The ones you feel were right. Have proposed few answers though. Once you do so the thread wil be complete

Nice working with ya 

Have a good one my friend 

• Edited by Akabe Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:33 PM
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:34 PM