none
Is it possible to exclude domain within send connector? Exchange 2010

Question

• Hello,

I have an exchange 2010 server with some antispam servers in front. Because of the setup we have, I have to use two different send connectors - 1 one for email to a specific domain which goes directly to the internet (cost 1) and another 1 for all other domains (cost 100).

The problem I have is that twice now, and only when the email with the large attachment is sent, server decides to use the connector to the antispam which causes a loop and I have massive queues of email stuck on exchange.  

So my question is, is there a way to exclude a domain name from the send connector? Use this connector for everything but contoso.com?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:57 AM

Answers

• It's causing a loop as the connector for * emails goes to the antispam box which is not sending them email further but reverts it back to exchange. Our email set up is a bit odd, but unfortunately I cannot reveal any more details.

The set up has been like that for about 6 years now and only twice we had this issue. Both times, the email was to contoso.com with a large attachment (11mb first time, 19mb second), and instead of using the contoso.com connector which sends to the internet, it send it to the * which goes to antispam. The antispam box can handle the attachments to, but not when they are sent to contoso.com users, as it send it back to server causing loops. Hope this makes sense.

Ok, gotcha. I see whats going on. So you have a message size limit on the contoso connector that is less than the * message size limit on the * connector yes? 

If so that makes sense. Exchange eliminates that contoso connector because it has a limit size less than the message size being sent. It then sends over the connector that has a higher message because it can. I know it sounds incorrect, but it will check the message size before making a routing decision even if a connector has a more specific address space. 

Blog:    Twitter:   

Thursday, October 20, 2016 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Not possible to exclude a domain name from the send connector, but why not configuring the third sender connector for contoso.com?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj839710(v=exchg.141).aspx

Regards,

Lynn-Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:00 AM
  • Hi Lynn-Li,

This is exactly what I have. The first connector I have is set up for contoso.com (cost 1), the other for * (cost 100). The problem is that that technically there is nothing stopping the email using the first connector. When users send an email with a large attachment (10mb +) to contoso.com, it's using the * connector which is creating email stuck in a loop.

Peter   

Thursday, October 20, 2016 9:32 AM
  • Hi Lynn-Li,

This is exactly what I have. The first connector I have is set up for contoso.com (cost 1), the other for * (cost 100). The problem is that that technically there is nothing stopping the email using the first connector. When users send an email with a large attachment (10mb +) to contoso.com, it's using the * connector which is creating email stuck in a loop.

Peter   

10MB is not a large attachment. If that connector cant handle that message size, then why not set it to a lower allowed messages size and the message will not be sent and NDR back to the sender.  There is really no way around that if the connection cant handle messages over a certain size other than sharing files differently other than through email.

Why does it cause a loop?

Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:57 AM
  • It's causing a loop as the connector for * emails goes to the antispam box which is not sending them email further but reverts it back to exchange. Our email set up is a bit odd, but unfortunately I cannot reveal any more details.

The set up has been like that for about 6 years now and only twice we had this issue. Both times, the email was to contoso.com with a large attachment (11mb first time, 19mb second), and instead of using the contoso.com connector which sends to the internet, it send it to the * which goes to antispam. The antispam box can handle the attachments to, but not when they are sent to contoso.com users, as it send it back to server causing loops. Hope this makes sense.

Thursday, October 20, 2016 12:21 PM

Ok, gotcha. I see whats going on. So you have a message size limit on the contoso connector that is less than the * message size limit on the * connector yes? 

If so that makes sense. Exchange eliminates that contoso connector because it has a limit size less than the message size being sent. It then sends over the connector that has a higher message because it can. I know it sounds incorrect, but it will check the message size before making a routing decision even if a connector has a more specific address space. 

Thursday, October 20, 2016 12:49 PM