Boot problems older PC RRS feed

• Question

• emachine T3101, old desktop pc, originally built w/ XP sp2
    AMD processor, single core

the problem is with the cold boot.  once warmed up, it starts/restarts fine.

but there is no consistency to the bad start-ups.  sometimes no monitor signal, sometimes the start light does not come on and no monitor, sometimes the monitor initiates, but then the OS itself reboots several times before staying on. 

most forums I've read point to hardware issues, however that would be indicated by a consistent failure.  and i am thinking firmware/drivers/bios settings.

but have tried other OS's -- Ubuntu and Windows 8 preview -- and same issues.  reinstalled drivers including chipset package, have tried with and without different video card, flashed bios ... done with dual boots and single....have toggled just about every bios setting.

a common answer seems to be to replace the power supply....i took it apart to dust, and don't see any capacitors blown.  the jumper pins don't seem to be working normally on the motherboard.  if you move or remove the jumper, it is just dead instead of going into any options. 

memory seems to be fine.  removing hard drive and just booting into a Linux thumb drive, still has the cold-boot problem.

the Linux error shows a kernel panic and a machine check error with "2nd cpu" which this machine has single core, so there is not even a second core.  have XP written back on it now, but same start up problems when the machine is cold.  have replaced CMOS battery and this all started at when XP service pack 3 was written to the machine.  but it also sat for long time without being plugged in.  so any help.  thanks.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hi

Can you run a memory test or do a stress test on the machine and see if it fails?

Sounds like the OS is crashing due to hardware. Also the machine is very old, can you upgrade to SP3 for XP and see?

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:47 PM