why are the jump lists so.... odd in explorer? and why doesnt peek work properly? RRS feed

• Question

• using Win 7 Ultimate X64 Retail and iv noticed the jump lists "frequent" listing has no rhyme or reason to it, for instance by far my most used folder is Downloads, as thats where it kind of plonks everything from the internet (funiily enough) so WHY then, is Downloads not in my Frequent list, but all the sub folders which iv accessed once each are? to start off with i put this down to i hadnt used it enough for it to figure it out yet, but its been 2 months now! i access the Downloads folder 20-30 times a day! the sub folders are (usually) accessed at most one!

Also, whya re the "preview" panes so slow to update? i find them to be totally useless as 9 times out of 10 they merely display what i last saw, not whats going on right now (this includes Aero Peek) this is especially noticable when downloading, as it just sits there and doesnt update, whats the point of a preview if you cant keep an eye on whats happening in real time?
    Monday, January 4, 2010 10:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Martin,

The jump list in Windows 7's taskbar have many customizable parts that are different across different applications. For Windows Explorer, it will record the "Recent" visited folder in the jump list. For some other applications, such as Windows Media Player, it record "Frequent" instead. For more information, please refer to Windows 7 Taskbar – Part 1, The Basics and Windows 7 Taskbar: Jump Lists

In addition, if you use Downloads folder frequently, you can simply open that folder, right click on the folder icon, and then click "Pin to this list" button to pin it to the Taskbar.

Regarding the preview issue, please post a new thread for further discussion.

Regards,

Linda

Friday, January 8, 2010 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When did the jump list issue first occur? Did it came with windows 7 installed at the every beginning?

Open "taskbar and Start Menu Properties", under "Start manu" tab, make sure the following were checked:

Store and display recently opened programs in the Start menu
    Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar

As the download folder is frequently used, pin the folder to task bar to check if that helps.

By default, most of the jump list history are saved under %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations, check the folder and tell us the content of it. Feel free to empty this folder as new list history will be created automatically. 

Regarding to the slow "preview" panes issue, as it is not directly related to the first issue, you are welcome to open a new thread to avoid confusion.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Hi Martin,

The jump list in Windows 7's taskbar have many customizable parts that are different across different applications. For Windows Explorer, it will record the "Recent" visited folder in the jump list. For some other applications, such as Windows Media Player, it record "Frequent" instead. For more information, please refer to Windows 7 Taskbar – Part 1, The Basics and Windows 7 Taskbar: Jump Lists

In addition, if you use Downloads folder frequently, you can simply open that folder, right click on the folder icon, and then click "Pin to this list" button to pin it to the Taskbar.

Regarding the preview issue, please post a new thread for further discussion.

Regards,

Linda

Friday, January 8, 2010 6:06 AM