Client Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed the SCCM client via the Client Push method and all seems good. However, I have several machines that have the client installed but are not showing so under the "All Systems" collection. The ccm.log file shows the service was started on the computer in question. The Configuration Management icon appears in the users Control Panel as well. Also, the SMS service is running on the users machine. I am certain that the client installation has succeeded but it doesn't show so in the collection on the console.

Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:45 PM

Answers

• It seems to be fixed now. I went into my primary site's properties (System Center Configuration Manager / Site Database / Site Management / <SITE CODE>) and made sure the "Site server signing certificate" was correct (which can be found under the '"Site Mode" tab). It was showing a error originally. This probably had something to do with me issuing multiple certificates trying to get it to work.

THANKS for all of your help!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:27 PM

All replies

• It can be two things:

1) The collection has not been updated and refreshed

2) The client might be installed but not assigned to the correct site. Open the ConfigMgr. agent in the control panel and look at the Actions tab. Do you have more than two ations? If not, the client is not assigned.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Kurt, thank you for your quick response.

1. The collection has been updated and refreshed multiple times. I've also tried closing the console and reopening it.
    2. The client is installed to the correct site. Under the Advanced tab of the Configuration Manager Properties on the client, the site code is correct. The client is also shown as Assigned in the console. Furthermore, the client has two actions listed in the Actions tab (Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle and User Policy Retreval & Evaluation Cycle).

• Edited by hhancock Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:57 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:53 PM
  • If it only has those action listed, then it's not assigned. Chekc this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925282 and look for the 3rd phase of the installation.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:05 PM
  • If the client only has two actions listed in the actions tab, then it is not properly communicating with the site.

You'll need to start looking through the client logs to see if you can find the issue.

Start with ClientLocation.log, LocationServices.log, and ClientIDManagerStartup.log.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Other client installations are similar in nature but appear in the console menu.

There are no errors in the ClientLocation.log. The LocationServices.log does have some certificate errors:

Failed to set site signing certificate (0x800b0109). LocationServices 3/6/2012 2:21:28 PM 3012 (0x0BC4)
    Failed to update Signing Certificate over HTTP with error 0x800b0109. LocationServices 3/6/2012 2:21:28 PM 3012 (0x0BC4)

• Edited by hhancock Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:13 PM
  • just search that error  "Failed to set site signing certificate (0x800b0109) configmgr".  I found a hit immediately with a solution.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:57 PM
  • This did not resolve my issue.

I am no longer receiving any errors in CcmExec.log nor LocationServices.log when pushing installation to clients. However, the same thing continues to happen. The client is partly installed but only lists 2 actions in the Actions tab of the Configuration Manager Properties dialog box.

• Edited by hhancock Friday, March 9, 2012 3:06 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 2:59 PM
  • The first place I would look is ClientIDManagerStartup.log.

Nick.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 11:25 PM
  • LocationServices.log has the following error:

Rejected the new site signing certificate...

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:55 PM
  • Are you in Native Mode?

Do these clients trust the CA that issue the site server signing cert?

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:17 PM
  • are you running in mixed mode?

Check to make sure there are no conflicting records on the site.  You may also have to manually "approve" the client before the final phase of the client install will complete.

Allen Anderson Systems Analyst Arizona State University - OKED Knowledge Informatics

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:17 PM
  • I am running in Native Mode.
    • Edited by hhancock Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:06 PM
  • And the second question: "Do these clients trust the CA that issue the site server signing cert?"

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:38 PM
  • The certificate is issued by our enterprise CA server (Windows Server 2003) and yes, the clients should trust any certs issued from that server.
    • Edited by hhancock Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:04 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:04 PM
  • "should" vs. "do"

The error message indicates some type of cert trust issue which can only be troubleshot by reviewing the client and it's configuration. I would defintiely start by ensuring the CA is trusted and that the client has the correct time.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Check out what Jason says first.  If that checks out, uninstall the client and reinstall using ccmsetup.exe /mp:SMSSERVER SMSSITECODE=ABC RESETKEYINFORMATION=TRUE

Allen Anderson Systems Analyst Arizona State University - OKED Knowledge Informatics

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:40 PM
  • The clients DO trust the enterprise CA. It appears that I am not receiving the "Rejected the new site signing certificate..." error anymore. LocationServices.log now just says, "The 'Certificate Store' is empty in the registry, using default store name 'My'".
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:54 PM
  • It seems to be fixed now. I went into my primary site's properties (System Center Configuration Manager / Site Database / Site Management / <SITE CODE>) and made sure the "Site server signing certificate" was correct (which can be found under the '"Site Mode" tab). It was showing a error originally. This probably had something to do with me issuing multiple certificates trying to get it to work.

THANKS for all of your help!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:27 PM