The HTTP request is unauthorized with client authentication scheme 'Ntlm'. The authentication header received from the server was 'NTLM'. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to program a VisualWebPart using Visual Studio 2010 which has to do a simple thing: invoke a web service (hosted in a remote server, NOT locally). When I execute within the Sharepoint site (version 2010, which I have published in my IIS) I get this error:
    "The HTTP request is unauthorized with client authentication scheme 'Ntlm'. The authentication header received from the server was 'NTLM'."
    I have been all over the web and found many related problems, but none of the solutions worked, I am pretty sure I tried them all, so I decided to post mine. Almost ALL solutions i found involves modifications in the webservice security configuration however this is not an option for me.
    Looking for a solution, I created a sample windows form and invoked the web service from it: no problems whatsoever.
    The webservice, in order to be invoked correctly, must have the following security configuration:
        <security mode="TransportCredentialOnly">
           <transport clientCredentialType="Ntlm" proxyCredentialType="Ntlm" realm="" />
           <message clientCredentialType="UserName" algorithmSuite="Default" />
        </security>
    I believe the problem is that I haven´t been able to properly set this security property to the web.config of my Sharepoint site, since I tried to put it in the security tag that appears in the web.config but still get the same error. Has anybody faced this problem and could fix it?

• Edited by soff87 Monday, December 26, 2011 3:29 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 3:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Soff87,

Thanks for your post!

I am trying to involve some one familiar with this topic to do some further research.

Thanks,
    Simon

Simon Huang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Hi soff87,

Maybe you can reference to http://blogs.msdn.com/ashishme/archive/2006/11/10/ntlm-vs-kerberos-windows-communication-foundation.aspx.  It may give you some ideas.

Cheers,

Jeff - MSFT

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Thanks, we updated to an Active Directory environment, and hitting the ""http request is unauthorized with client authentication scheme" Error.  I replaced the security node in web.config with the "soff87's" configuration and all is well.  Thanks.

<security mode="TransportCredentialOnly">
           <transport clientCredentialType="Ntlm" proxyCredentialType="Ntlm" realm="" />
           <message clientCredentialType="UserName" algorithmSuite="Default" />
        </security>

Phil

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:34 PM