new fully updated machine shows old updates for install after a week RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I prepared clean W7 Enterpr VM for a capture.

Did full Windows update from MS directly. Checked after few days.

No updates ( after 1,2 GB updates applied including latest Rollup and etc of June 2018).

After a week of no updates needed it shows 12 important Ready to install.

They show published day 2015 and 2016.

How to explain this? Should I apply them or just to Hide?

Thx.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hello pob579,

Thanks for your feedback, which provide great useful details.

According to the screenshot, there are three updates (KB2676562, KB3109094, KB3123479) which indeed have been replaced. Taking KB2676562 for example, it has been replaced by KB4019264 and other follow-up updates. This mean that, if those latest updates have been installed, the client should not get the KB2676562 update. Therefore, it is necessary to check Installed updates.

Select the Start button. , then select Control Panel > Programs, and then under Programs and Features, select View installed updates.

• If the latest updates indeed exist such as KB4019264, we could delete those old updates and restart Windows Update to check if those old updates would download again.
    1. Stopping the Automatic Updates service.
    2. Deleting the Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
    3. Restarting the Automatic Updates service.

• If the latest updates do not exist, however, based on security considerations, my suggestion is applying them.

Hope my answer helps.

Best regards,

Ray Jia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hello pob579,

Glad to assist and hope my reply useful.

At first, let's confirm that your system get updates from Microsoft Updates directly instead of WSUS. In this way, this issue usually does not happen because the updates published in 2015 and 2016 should be replaced.

However, it would be great helpful if you could provide the detail of those updates such as KB number, so we can do some more research.

Microsoft®Update Catalog

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

In addition, did you install any software or component in your VM? If so, are these updates possible for these post-installed software?

Look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,

Ray Jia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 3:17 AM
  • > At first, let's confirm that your system get updates from Microsoft Updates directly instead of WSUS.

The VM was installed from ISO (not from MDT) so no chance that WSUS was involved.

Yes I connected the host with VM to LAN for some time. But sure there was no pointing to WSUS by any means.

see partial log.

See pic for KBs.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts about "old" updates... but I have this weird situation. Probably I can just mask them because all latest cumulative were installed.

What you can conclude?

here is the link to Wupdate log: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Av7GxVRWTkZlggc53j2-FUJdlr3F

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 12:56 PM
  • Hello pob579,

Thanks for your feedback, which provide great useful details.

According to the screenshot, there are three updates (KB2676562, KB3109094, KB3123479) which indeed have been replaced. Taking KB2676562 for example, it has been replaced by KB4019264 and other follow-up updates. This mean that, if those latest updates have been installed, the client should not get the KB2676562 update. Therefore, it is necessary to check Installed updates.

Select the Start button. , then select Control Panel > Programs, and then under Programs and Features, select View installed updates.

• If the latest updates indeed exist such as KB4019264, we could delete those old updates and restart Windows Update to check if those old updates would download again.
    1. Stopping the Automatic Updates service.
    2. Deleting the Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
    3. Restarting the Automatic Updates service.

• If the latest updates do not exist, however, based on security considerations, my suggestion is applying them.

Hope my answer helps.

Best regards,

Ray Jia

Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:38 AM
  • Hello Pob579,

Is above information useful?

Look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,

Ray Jia

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 9:04 AM
  • didn't check the existence of updates. But will do it...

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 5:53 PM