none
Minimize Maximize in Taskbar? RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows XP it is possible to minimize and maximize, as well as closing, an application window by right-clicking its icon in the taskbar.

In Windows 7 only the close option remains. Why have the minimize and maximize options been removed?

Please bring them back. They're useful!
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 8:53 PM

Answers

• Thanks for pointing that out Fesak.

I have set the taskbar to only combine buttons when the taskbar is full. So normally I get one button per application window in the taskbar.

Even so, right clicking on the button does not bring up the minimize and maximize options. You have to right-click on the pop-window that appears.

I think this is unnecessary. Since there's only one window associated with the taskbar button, the options for maximize and minimize should be right there when you right-click the button.

Someone should consider bringing this back.

(Still, at least I now know where to find the minimize and maximize options, even if they are further away than I would want!)

Hi

The old style menu options are still there.

With the implementation of the new Taskbar, all of the usual mouse and keyboard functions are designed to work with the new default settings, such as the Jump List, Pin, Unpin, etc.

Try using a combination of Keys+Mouse to get the old style menus.

Press and hold Shift, or Shift+CTRL while right clicking with the mouse.

These will work differently depending on how you have the Taskbar configured.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:52 PM
  • They are still there, but since Win 7 groups windows then the icon on the taskbar is for the entire group, not the one window. You have to select the window that you want to max/min from the popup that appears above it, then right click there.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:02 PM

All replies

• They are still there, but since Win 7 groups windows then the icon on the taskbar is for the entire group, not the one window. You have to select the window that you want to max/min from the popup that appears above it, then right click there.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:02 PM

I have set the taskbar to only combine buttons when the taskbar is full. So normally I get one button per application window in the taskbar.

Even so, right clicking on the button does not bring up the minimize and maximize options. You have to right-click on the pop-window that appears.

I think this is unnecessary. Since there's only one window associated with the taskbar button, the options for maximize and minimize should be right there when you right-click the button.

(Still, at least I now know where to find the minimize and maximize options, even if they are further away than I would want!)

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:40 PM

Hi

The old style menu options are still there.

With the implementation of the new Taskbar, all of the usual mouse and keyboard functions are designed to work with the new default settings, such as the Jump List, Pin, Unpin, etc.

Try using a combination of Keys+Mouse to get the old style menus.

Press and hold Shift, or Shift+CTRL while right clicking with the mouse.

These will work differently depending on how you have the Taskbar configured.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:52 PM
  • But WHY change that basic functionality?  These are tasks that are akin to touch typing!  Minimize and maximize are CORE functions of a window, especially when the 'new' window is not opening to the size you want (because THAT 'funky' behaviour still hasn't been fixed/tweaked).

Why Microsoft.........why?

Friday, December 17, 2010 6:23 AM
  • Yeah, it sucks. The main problem I have is that I sit about 8 feet away from my keyboard, so I can't press shift when I right click.  I do have a wireless keyboard, but it is just inconvenient.  I really wish I had a keyboard on the bottom of my mouse.  I want to be able to do everything with my mouse only.  I think this will definitely be a greater problem in the future as more and more people start hooking up their PC's to their HDTV's and sit on their couch surf the internet and watch movies. Windows needs to be endlessly customizable, it sucks to have to lose a great feature that you are used to and forced to use a feature that is in every way inferior. I like windows but it just gets worse and worse and less intuitive.

1. I can't tell the status of the icons in device manager

2. Windows Explorer tree needs to open to the folder you are looking at AND center it in the column

3. Anybody really use the aero view?

4. Libraries needs to be able to be deleted

5. Search on XP was awesome, just a simple button, on win7 it takes forever, is less customizable, and doesn't even show you the folder the specific file is in.

6. XP Quick Launch was awesome. In win7, the default taskbar groups everything. If I open 10 explorers, I want 10 explorers on the taskbar so I can VISUALLY see which one I want to select, not to have to read though a list in a grouped icon.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:16 AM
  • The options are still there using shift+right click...
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 1:47 PM
  • seriously - WHERE is it SIMPLY OBVIOUS to any REGULAR user that they can 'shift+right click' ?

WHERE?

the whole system gets dumbed down, but basic usability like this is in secret keyboard shortcuts?

come on!

Monday, October 5, 2015 8:29 PM