none
Skype Directory contact search not working in SfB Server 2019 Edge RRS feed

• Question

• After deploying a new Skype for Business Server 2019 Edge server and changing the topology and external DNS records to reflect that, the consumer Skype Directory search no longer works.

The Skype for Business Basic 2016 (and also the SfB client included in Office 365 ProPlus) client searches for a consumer Skype contact, the new Edge sees the query come in from a FE to Edge internal interface port 4443 but the Edge does not send the query out into the internet. I checked all three external interfaces with Wireshark. All other Edge functionality is working as desired.

Currently main SfB FE pool is a three-server Skype for Business Server 2015 pool. I stood up a secondary Skype for Business Server 2019 FE pool, migrated my user over and the same behaviour persists with SfB Server 2019 FE's. I have two single-server Edge pools: active is SfB Server 2019, inactive is SfB Server 2015.

On the new Edge, I checked that the address book web query service is installed and running - it is. I restarted the Edge and Event Viewer Lync server log confirms this - the service is running but apparently is not doing anything.

I have added our Edge external SIP FQDN-s on pic.lync.com a long time ago and the FQDN-s are still the sama. Adding consumer Skype users with their username/e-mail address manually works
    Monday, December 2, 2019 1:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Tarique A!
    Does anyone else have the same issue?
    In my research, you could try to troubleshoot the issue in these ways:
    1)Verify that ports 4443 between Front End/Edge, and port 443 outbound on Edge are open and working. Do a telnet on the port from 4443: telnet edge.server.fqdn 4443. If port 4443 is not working, you can verify the replication just check it with the following command: Get-CsManagementStoreReplicationStatus

2)Check external DNS resolution on Edge servers  

3) Make sure you allowed user public IM access in External Access Policy, you can use the cmdlet “Get-CsExternalAccessPolicy” to see if EnableFederationAccess is true.For more details about this cmdlet, you can refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/get-csexternalaccesspolicy?view=skype-ps#examples

4)Check if your client is updated to the latest version.
    For more details about troubleshooting this issue, you can refer to the following link:

https://ucmart.uk/2015/09/04/skype-directory-search-the-server-selected-for-next-hop-could-not-be-reached-or-did-not-reply/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 7:55 AM
  • Hi,
    Is there any update on this case?
    Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.
    Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 11:08 AM