cannot get addressbook from xp to 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have address book on my old xp and can not get to my  new windows 7 and it is not in the accessories
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:30 PM

Answers

• Hi emoore24,

Windows Address Book has been replaced by Windows Contacts in this version of Windows. Windows Contacts has all the features of the old Windows Address Book, as well as some new features, such as the ability to add pictures to your contacts.

Open Windows Contacts by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Contacts.

Note: If you upgrade to this version of Windows from Windows XP, each of your contacts in Windows Address Book will be automatically converted to the .contact file format and stored in a separate file in your Contacts folder.

If you did a custom installation of Windows 7, please refer to: How to restore your personal files after you perform a custom installation of Windows Vista or of Windows 7.

Also, please understand that Windows Mail isn't included in Windows 7. You can install Windows Live Mail instead. For more information, please refer to this article.

In addition, if you would like to export the address book from Windows XP and import it to Windows 7, please refer to the steps below:

1.     Start Outlook Express in Windows XP and go to File>Export>Address Book

2.     Export the address book as a Text File (.csv)

3.     Select saving location and all the contact details you want to export and click Finish.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 2:43 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:07 AM

All replies

• Here's the easiest way:

1 - On your XP computer, open your Address Book.
    2 - From the File menu, choose Export > Address Book.  Save the file to a USB thumb-drive, CD, network location (or even email it to yourself) so you can get to it from your Windows 7 computer.

3 - Then, on your Windows 7 computer, click Start, then click your name (top-right).
    4 - Open the Contacts folder.
    5 - Click 'Import' on the Toolbar, then find the file you saved in step 2.

That will import your contacts to the new Contacts system in Windows 7.

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Hi emoore24,

Windows Address Book has been replaced by Windows Contacts in this version of Windows. Windows Contacts has all the features of the old Windows Address Book, as well as some new features, such as the ability to add pictures to your contacts.

Open Windows Contacts by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Contacts.

Note: If you upgrade to this version of Windows from Windows XP, each of your contacts in Windows Address Book will be automatically converted to the .contact file format and stored in a separate file in your Contacts folder.

If you did a custom installation of Windows 7, please refer to: How to restore your personal files after you perform a custom installation of Windows Vista or of Windows 7.

Also, please understand that Windows Mail isn't included in Windows 7. You can install Windows Live Mail instead. For more information, please refer to this article.

In addition, if you would like to export the address book from Windows XP and import it to Windows 7, please refer to the steps below:

1.     Start Outlook Express in Windows XP and go to File>Export>Address Book

2.     Export the address book as a Text File (.csv)

3.     Select saving location and all the contact details you want to export and click Finish.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 2:43 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi all -

So I just got a new computer with Windows 7 home premium 64-bit. I installed Outlook 2007, and it is ok. (Just ok)
    I really liked Windows Mail and resist using Windows Live Mail as I like to have my files downloaded to my computer.

I was able to copy the contacts to the contacts folder on the windows 7 unit. But my Outlook does not see the contacts.

The folder will open from the libray (windows' explorer) but not in Outlook. In Windows' mail, in a new mail window, I can click on Tools, and Select receipient" and see my list. That does not happen in Outlook.

Any suggestions?

Thanks SO much!

Debbie
    Debbie
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:46 AM
  • Hi Debbie,

Please post a new thread about your issue, so that more users can join the discussion. ;-)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:28 AM
  • Linda -

Please tell me where to post a new thread... i am sorry but I cannot find where to do this. I'd be happy to, though!

Debbie
    Debbie
    Friday, January 15, 2010 4:51 AM
  • At the very top of this page, click 'Ask a Question'.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle to the left of this message.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 5:14 AM