none
MS Project Standard 2010 - Two Issues/Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two interesting problems with MS Project 2010 Standard that I'm hoping someone may have some insight on.  For some background, our shop uses all 2003 products with the exception of MS Project 2010, all running on Windows XP.  I have heard that MS Office 2003 and 2010 products do not play nicely together and am not sure if that is part of the problem.

Current MS Project Version: 14.0.5135.5000

#1) When creating a custom filter on Resource Name in a Task or Resource View, whether it be with a pop-up dialog box or by "contains exactly", etc., the value that is entered is never actually found by the filter (i.e. project screen is blank) ... even if I see it on the screen before applying the filter and type it EXACTLY as it's entered in the plan.  Oddly enough, the MS Project canned filters that pre-load the dialog box with Resource Names works fine...can this functionality be copied to a custom filter?

#2) Creating/Using macros appears to corrupt our Windows XP "profile" (as our help desk folks put it).  These are simple macros (like copying custom task text fields to custom resource text fields), all of which worked for us in MS Project 2003. Essentially once a macro is run, the behavior we see includes:

• Upon inserting a new column, the drop down dialog fills the entire screen and a value cannot be selected when clicked.
    • Filter dropdowns behave as described above.
    • Based on the above, MS Project becomes unusable to our team and our "profile" must be restored.

Any insight on any workarounds, etc., would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully there's a hotfix for this!

-Dan

• Edited by DLukasik Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:41 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:31 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your reply!  I will work with our IT department on getting SP1 installed.

As for your suggestion on #1, can you elaborate?  Would a custom autofilter provide a popup with a list of the available resources (i.e. Using Resource... filter)?  This would be ideal for our department.

Pls check "Use AutoFilters to filter quickly | Create a custom AutoFilter" section at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/filter-tasks-or-resources-HA101929354.aspx

It works pretty much like the way it works in Excel.  Pls try it and tell us whether it works for you.

Regards. --Ismet
    Monday, September 26, 2011 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hello Dan,

It seems that MS Project 2010 does not have SP1 installed. It is here at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2460052/

For #1; Pls try selecting the resource name from the list in a Custom AutoFilter instead of typing in. That will eliminate string matching problems.

For #2; Pls try them on Project 2010 with SP1 installed.

Regards. --Ismet
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Project 2010 does have a vba bug that crashes Project 2010 if you have a UserForm in the macro.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    • Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:46 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:53 AM
  • Thank you for your reply!  I will work with our IT department on getting SP1 installed.

As for your suggestion on #1, can you elaborate?  Would a custom autofilter provide a popup with a list of the available resources (i.e. Using Resource... filter)?  This would be ideal for our department.

Monday, September 26, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Rod, thank you for your reply.  Is this fixed in SP1?  If not, is there a workaround?
    Monday, September 26, 2011 3:20 PM

Pls check "Use AutoFilters to filter quickly | Create a custom AutoFilter" section at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/filter-tasks-or-resources-HA101929354.aspx

It works pretty much like the way it works in Excel.  Pls try it and tell us whether it works for you.

Regards. --Ismet
    Monday, September 26, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Ismet - this does work, thank you!
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Ismet - this does work, thank you!
    You're welcome.

Regards. --Ismet
    Monday, September 26, 2011 7:43 PM