App-V Bandwidth Control RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Using App-V Management Server to deliver virtual apps ,using streaming with RTSP, is possible to control and delimit the bandwith to avoid network issues?

I know, using the App-V Adm customized templates from www.loginconsultants.com (App-V Add-on ADM Template2.0) is possible to control, but only defining the Network Bandwith, something like this :

T1/LAN
    Modem
    ISDN
    DSL
    Cable Modem

Is not possible to customize the bandwidth using personal values like: 512kbps,1024kbps, 2048kbps, 4096kbps ?

Thanks.

Monday, July 4, 2011 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hello,

There aren't any bandwidth throttling controls available natively in App-V Client or Server components. The ADM setting you refer to is obsolete leftover from the old versions of Softgrid (was in the client's UI lastly in 3.X series, I think) and as far as I know, it has never worked as intended even when it was officially available.

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, July 4, 2011 7:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:16 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There aren't any bandwidth throttling controls available natively in App-V Client or Server components. The ADM setting you refer to is obsolete leftover from the old versions of Softgrid (was in the client's UI lastly in 3.X series, I think) and as far as I know, it has never worked as intended even when it was officially available.

/Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, July 4, 2011 7:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:16 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Hello Kalle,

Is possible to force the bandwidth control in the ISS where is running de Management Console?

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:10 PM
  • Hello,

The streaming does not happend from IIS, but from the Core-process of the App-V management server - which is its own processes.

You can limit it using an external network device - if you have those capabilities or are willing to invest in those

/Znack
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Hello,

In a full infrastructure scenario, when integrate App V with SCCM 2007 R3, is possible to define the Bandwidth by BITS technology?

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Hello,

Since you are using a bit mixed terminology;

The infrastructure planning whitepaper is available here;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvserverandmanagement/thread/9e118050-d666-44fa-8db4-33a4ec63a0ee

It details the different technologies when it comes to infrastructure.

BITS is something you can leverage for SCCM and its infrastrcture, however its not something you can leverage for App-V and its Full / Streaming-model infrastructure

/Znack
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:40 AM