none
How do I recover allocated space in DPM2010? RRS feed

• General discussion

• We have a DPM 2010 server with the following storage pool statistics:

Capacity:3724.88
         Allocated: 3507.56
           Used: 1282.4

When I try to add a new a new member to my Protection Group, I am informed that there isn't enough free space in the storage pool (it wants 358gb, only have 217gb unallocated).

I removed a protected server from DPM and reduced my recovery points by 20%.  I then ran pruneshadowcopiesDpm2010.ps1 and re-scanned my disk.  No change in available space.

How do I "recover" the space that I freed up so that I can use it for the new member I wish to protect?

Thanks for any and all help.

Bryan Hunt

Monday, October 18, 2010 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Bryan!

When you choose to stop the protection for a protected member you're promted with the question to retain the data on the replica- and recoverypoint volume or delete it. If you have choose to retain the data for the former protected members you will find this under the inactive protection group in your DPM console. You can afterwards delete those former-protected members to free space also.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Monday, October 18, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

you said reduced recovery point by ~20% --> what did you do?
    The only way to accomplish that is to shorten the retention period (or remove data sources not retaining data).

Remember, the amount of recovery points has almost nothing to do with consumed disk space.
    Only if the same data is changed over and over again between each of multiple recovery point within a given period, compared to the same change using less recovery points and same period, causes higher consumption. In same scenario if data is rewritten with same this will lead to zero consumption in storage pool because the underlying VSS implementation (volsnap) recognizes the data did not actually change and skips the copy_on_write phase.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, October 18, 2010 7:42 PM