Windows 7 64 bit freezes and hangs on loading the Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• At the start of this year I bought a laptop, a Toshiba P500-ST6822. It came with Windows 7 64 bit, 6 GB RAM, 1GB graphic RAM, 2x 500GB HDD. So all round a very powerful machine. Just what I wanted.

After about 10 -12 weeks of use, I noticed that it would, in the middle of work or playing or even after leaving it over night, to down- upload files from the ofice servers, it would just hang. Every thime this happened I had to do a hard re-start. Then, up-on booting up it would, everytime, go into chkdsk mode, then boot up. Once I logged in, often, during the desktop loading phase, it would just hang. I'd have to do a hard re-start, then go through the whole sequence again. More often than not I would have to repeat this process 2-3 times.

I checked all my software. ALL of it was legal. I bought Office 2007 Pr with the laptop; the firewall and anti-virus were also bought. I didn't use any stuff I wasn't sure was certified for Windows 7 64 bit.

One other problem I had was with the Microsoft Security Essentials application (MSSE). I downloaded it and installed it because I thought that since it was a MS product and and, almost, been designed for Windows 7, it would be a goo fit. However I found, over time, that it had difficulties downloading the updates then, if it managed to download them, it had problems installing them. That process, downloading and installing the updates, lead to the laptop hanging as well.

I finally got tired of the packet. I had to travel for a few months and I just didn't want to have the added distraction of MSSE on top of the other problems I had with windows. I had decided to replace Windows 7 64bit with linux, something I have on my office PC and in fact, through out my consultany, 28 PC as well as on the servers.

I uninstalled MSSE and didn't have time to install linux. Imagine my surprise when i realised, after working on the laptop for a few days, it occured to me that it hadn't frozen up or hung-up on me at all. I wasn't sure but I decided to run a test. In the past everytime I let the laptop run over night to do a backup on to the company servers then up-date my data it would hang-up on me, forcing me to do everything manually. I had a long weekend out here in Hong Kong, so I left the system running all day, all night until I returned to hte hotel.

It was still running the backup had been done, twice, and everything was ticking over waiting for me. I could hardly believe it. It was Microsoft Security Essentials all along.

It's been almost 3 weeks since I solved the problem, I have installed linux on the laptop, but as a dual boot solution, each hard drive has one OS, without any problems at all.

So long story, short lesson, watch what you install, even Microsoft applications can screw you over. That line from the pop-up comes to mind, "Do you trust the company from which this program is from?". My answer is  

Trust is good verification is better.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm that have many antivirus programs are installed?

If you have more than one antivirus program installed, they may conflict with each other.

In addition, the real-time protection of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) scans the files. If you have high network traffic, this feature may hang the system due to it will use high system resource.

The workaround is disable real-time protection. You may also try to update the network adapter driver and install the updates for MSE to test the issue.

Microsoft is also improving the MSE feature with the new versions. Thanks for your feedback and sharing your troubleshooting experience.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm that have many antivirus programs are installed?

If you have more than one antivirus program installed, they may conflict with each other.

In addition, the real-time protection of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) scans the files. If you have high network traffic, this feature may hang the system due to it will use high system resource.

The workaround is disable real-time protection. You may also try to update the network adapter driver and install the updates for MSE to test the issue.

Microsoft is also improving the MSE feature with the new versions. Thanks for your feedback and sharing your troubleshooting experience.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 2:25 AM
  • Assuming no other hardware changes or program changes such as antivirus could be in the mix?
    And no similar issues before adding the memory?

The new memory is probably not exactly the same as the original in tolerance and timing (even
    though they may appear to be identical) which can happen with memory off the same production
    run.

Try putting the new memory in first as it may be ever so slightly faster.

Try using only the new memory alone to make sure it does not have an issue.

Try using all new memory to get enough that is properly matched.
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:10 AM