Exchange needs your credentials RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am new to Lync so struggling to find an answer to this.

I have users in one domain that get the above error when accessing the Lync client. They have reported Lync still works but they get an Exchange needs your credentials error.

When looking at the client config settings the EWS URLs are not in the config which i think must be the problem. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Pleas let me know if you need more information.

Shane

Friday, September 2, 2016 3:08 PM

Answers

• This is now resolved. A certificate was renewed without the autodiscover record, When renewed with the record it worked.
    • Marked as answer by Shane W Monday, January 23, 2017 2:05 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hi

Prompting for exchange credentials can be down to a number of factors:

• Basic auth only for exchange instead of NTLM 
    • UPNs not matching SIP address 
    • autodiscover failures to Exchange
    • EWS not deployed internally or externally
    • Incorrect SPNs on Exchange Servers AD Objects, perhaps even an old object still exists for an exchange server that no longer exists?

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, September 5, 2016 1:17 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2016 3:37 PM
  • Hi Shane Walford,

Welcome to post in our forum.

Yes, agree with Mark, the prompt will be caused by a number of reasons.

If user’s sip address does not match his/her SMTP address (mail address), he/she will be prompted for Exchange credential.

If the specific Lync client has the issue, you could try to delete Lync cache files and test again.

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\sip_UserName@Domain.com

Moreover, please make sure both Lync client and server with the latest update.

Hope this helpful to you.

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 5, 2016 1:38 AM
  • Hi

Thank you both for the replies.

I have checked the sip address and smtp and they are the same.

Any tips or links on where to start troubleshooting first?

Regards

Shane

Monday, September 5, 2016 12:05 PM
  • Hi Shane Walford,

Thanks for your response.

Please make sure your EWS status is available and then test again.

For the prompt “exchange needs your credentials”, here is a blog for your reference

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2298541

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, September 12, 2016 10:05 AM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 10:49 AM
  • Hi

Ive done some more testing and using Microsofts remote connectivity analyzer i get the below error. 

Analyzing the certificate chains for compatibility problems with versions of Windows.
    Potential compatibility problems were identified with some versions of Windows.
    Additional Details
    The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer can only validate the certificate chain using the Root Certificate Update functionality from Windows Update. Your certificate may not be trusted on Windows if the "Update Root Certificates" feature isn't enabled.

Elapsed Time: 7 ms.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:14 AM
  • Hi Shane Walford,

Thanks for your response.

According to your error message, you could clear the cache files about the certificate as following :

1.click Start, click Run, type certmgr.msc, and then click OK.

2.Double-click Personal, and then double-click Certificates.

3.Sort by the Issued By column, and then look for a certificate that is issued by Communications Server.

4.Right-click the certificate, and then click Delete.

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Monday, September 19, 2016 5:49 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2016 9:58 AM
  • So the user just confirmed that they have replaced their certificate for their exchange server but this was done a month later, im wondering if this may be the cause and they changed this before this issues occurred.

Can the Exchange certificate affect Lync in this way?

Thursday, September 29, 2016 12:10 PM
  • Hi

Thank you for this? would all users have to clear the cache files themselves? we have a lot of users so this may not be practical to do.

Thanks

Shane

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 8:03 AM
  • This is now resolved. A certificate was renewed without the autodiscover record, When renewed with the record it worked.
    • Marked as answer by Shane W Monday, January 23, 2017 2:05 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 2:05 PM