Error 868 while trying to connect to external VPN server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I've just installed Forefront TMG 2010 on our company as a edge firewall topology. I've configured internet access & restrictions and everything is working fine now.

My problem is regarding VPN. My employees have configured VPN connections that they use when necessary to connect to my clients in order to give tech support. The problem is that before installing Forefront, we had IPCop and we could connect to any client with VPN, and now it's giving error 868 "The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve". If I connect outside the company network, it works without any problem. I have made a rule to allow PPTP from internal to external, but still is not working. Can someone give me a help?

Thanks!

Vaz.

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:23 PM

Answers

• After configuring the VPN network for our company users, TMG made the excections also from internal to external and everything is working now.
    • Marked as answer by Luis Vaz Monday, September 3, 2012 3:16 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2012 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi everyone,

I've just installed Forefront TMG 2010 on our company as a edge firewall topology. I've configured internet access & restrictions and everything is working fine now.

My problem is regarding VPN. My employees have configured VPN connections that they use when necessary to connect to my clients in order to give tech support. The problem is that before installing Forefront, we had IPCop and we could connect to any client with VPN, and now it's giving error 868 "The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve". If I connect outside the company network, it works without any problem. I have made a rule to allow PPTP from internal to external, but still is not working. Can someone give me a help?

Thanks!

Vaz.

If you enabled VPN Client support on Forefront TMG, you cannot pass-through the L2TP/IPsec protocol from internal to external. It differs from PPTP. Please have a look at the following link...

Unsupported configurations
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee796231.aspx

Also, try adding GRE (General Routing Encapsulation) protocol.

Boudewijn Plomp, BPMi Infrastructure & Security

Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:23 AM
  • After configuring the VPN network for our company users, TMG made the excections also from internal to external and everything is working now.
    • Marked as answer by Luis Vaz Monday, September 3, 2012 3:16 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2012 3:16 PM