Print Spooler Issues in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• So yesterday I was printing on my HP Laserjet 1020 and all was good.  Then I tried to print a PDF file and it would not print.  It said that I needed to pick a printer first.  I went into printers and the only one there was my HP Laserjet.  It was not the normal printer icon though, it looked like a safe.  So I tried reloading the driver, but that didn't change anything.  I read some forums and realized that my print spooler stopped.  So I restarted it and tried again.  No go!  So I read some more forums, tried system restore, tried about 10 different work arounds to no avail.  Tried to change the Registry, deleted the print drivers an printers and reloaded the print drivers after reboot and after deleting the files in C:\Windows\System32\spool\printers.  Tried Registry Mechanic to fix any and all registry errors.  There were 256 of them.  There was no reason for it to just stop working all of a sudden, nothing installed, changed or removed.  All of it's dependancies are started as well, so that's not the issue.  I just rebuilt my machine with Raid1 about 3 months ago and really don't want to reload Windows on here again because of this issue.  I really need to be able to print though.  Someone please help.  I am running Windows 7 64bit.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi garonm,

Please completely remove the printer from the system and see if the issue can be resolved:

Remove printer driver

===============

1. Click the Start Button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

2. Right click on the printer and choose Remove Device.

3. Click the Start the Button, type APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

4. Try to uninstall all related printer software and utilities.

5. Restart the computer.

Clean up driver information from the Registry:

=========================================

Before we go any further, please first backup the Registry.

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Select My Computer (the root node) in the left pane, click Export under the File menu, choose All under Export range, select Desktop in the Save in box

and type backup in File Name. click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

3. Click "Start", type in "regedit" in Search bar and press "Enter".

4. Browse to the following registry key by clicking the PLUS (+) sign:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

5. Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand Printers key. All current printers installed on your computer are listed there. Please right click the subkey of the

problematic printer in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

6. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

7. Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand "Version-3". All printer drivers which have been installed on your computer will be listed there. Please right click the

subkey of the problematic printer in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

8. Close Registry Editor.

Clear up driver information in Safe Mode

====================================

1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do so, restart the computer; Keep press F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears; choose "Safe Mode",

and press "Enter".

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

2. Click the Start button -> Computer and browse to the folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86\3, delete all the files in the folder.

3. Restart your computer in Normal Mode.

4. Please reinstall and add the printers.

If the issue persists, please check if there is any system files corrupted. To do so, refer to:How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:43 AM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:10 AM

All replies

• Hi garonm,

Please completely remove the printer from the system and see if the issue can be resolved:

Remove printer driver

===============

1. Click the Start Button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

2. Right click on the printer and choose Remove Device.

3. Click the Start the Button, type APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

4. Try to uninstall all related printer software and utilities.

5. Restart the computer.

Clean up driver information from the Registry:

=========================================

Before we go any further, please first backup the Registry.

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Select My Computer (the root node) in the left pane, click Export under the File menu, choose All under Export range, select Desktop in the Save in box

and type backup in File Name. click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

3. Click "Start", type in "regedit" in Search bar and press "Enter".

4. Browse to the following registry key by clicking the PLUS (+) sign:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

5. Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand Printers key. All current printers installed on your computer are listed there. Please right click the subkey of the

problematic printer in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

6. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

7. Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand "Version-3". All printer drivers which have been installed on your computer will be listed there. Please right click the

subkey of the problematic printer in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

8. Close Registry Editor.

Clear up driver information in Safe Mode

====================================

1. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do so, restart the computer; Keep press F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears; choose "Safe Mode",

and press "Enter".

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

2. Click the Start button -> Computer and browse to the folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86\3, delete all the files in the folder.

3. Restart your computer in Normal Mode.

4. Please reinstall and add the printers.

If the issue persists, please check if there is any system files corrupted. To do so, refer to:How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:43 AM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:10 AM
  • here is the fix for 32 bit

For 32 bit OS XP, Vista and 7 

http://www.gameaddict.eu/

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:50 AM
  • Hi,

You should also look at configuring isolation mode for your print drivers.

http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpsub/downloads/UPD_Microsoft_Driver_Isolation_Mode.pdf

Friday, January 14, 2011 11:28 AM