none
Installing a Xerox WorkCentre 4250 shared printer

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to install a shared printer on a domain controller so that the domain controller itself offers the driver to the Windows clients. The problem is that I was only able to install the 64-bit driver and there are still many machines that run Windows 7 on 32 bits. So when I try to connect to the printer shared by the domain controller, Windows starts checking the Windows Updates instead of getting it directly from the DC.

What I tried to do was to add the driver in Printer properties - Sharing - Additional drivers. But I guess the actual problem is that I'm unable to find a proper driver for Windows Server 2012 that works on 32 bits Windows clients. All drivers that I tried out seemed to be incompatible with the current driver (or so windows says, as far as I can tell).

Any ideas how I can install the 32-bit driver? What am I supposed to install exactly? A driver for windows server 2012 or a driver for windows 7 clients? What about computers that run Windows 8, or 10? How do I achieve the consistency?

Currently the printer runs on a Global Print Driver, as xerox calls it.

• Edited by lethargos Friday, March 17, 2017 2:34 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 2:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may install printer drivers on clients, then use Print Management on clients to connect to printer server, then add drivers.

More specifically, "You might not be able to extract some printer drivers without installing them. If this is the case, log on to a client computer that uses the same processor architecture as the printer drivers that you want to add to the print server, and install those printer drivers. Then use Print Management from the client computer to connect to the print server, and add the additional drivers from the Additional Drivers dialog box. Windows automatically uploads the drivers from the client computer to the print server."

Quote from the article below:

Print Management Step-by-Step Guide

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753109(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 8:27 AM