none
Alternative to "ExcludeSCPLookup" after migration to Office 365 for business

Question

• We've been doing this for all of our clients after we migrate them to office 365 but I wanted to see if there a way to accomplish this from the server. The problem is that when you migrate from on premise Exchange to Office 365, the Outlook client still looks for the internal Exchange server (SCP) and it won't work properly so to work around it we've been using the reg mod in the link here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3012603 to correct the problem. An example would be this:

"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover]
    "ExcludeHttpRedirect"=dword:0
    "ExcludeHttpsAutodiscoverDomain"=dword:0
    "ExcludeHttpsRootDomain"=dword:0
    "ExcludeScpLookup"=dword:1
    "ExcludeSrvLookup"=dword:0
    "ExcludeSrvRecord"=dword:0"

And while that works, whenever a new version of office comes up we need to adjust the version # (16.0) to match the new one. 

Besides for removing Exchange from the local server, is there any other method for accomplishing this? For example maybe a pointer on the server that redirects to office 365 or any anything similar? Looking for a more permanent solution.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 5:48 PM

All replies

• You could deploy a hybrid configuration and then the clients would properly redirect to Office 365.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, December 8, 2016 1:59 AM
  • Hi Pstoric,

Except Ed's suggestion, the best way I can think of is using Group Policy to control outlook autodiscover, please have a read the following articles:

How to control Outlook AutoDiscover by using Group Policy

Outlook Autodiscover methods with Exchange 2013

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 8:48 AM
  • Thanks, looking over your suggestions now..
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Thanks. I'll look into those links to see if they work

As for Ed's post, we don't necessarily want a hybrid solution as were moving our clients off of on premise exchange.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 5:11 PM
  • A hybrid makes the "moving" process a lot easier.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Saturday, December 10, 2016 7:48 AM
  • Thanks but they do not want on premise Exchange anymore. I was simply looking for an alternative method (more permanent) to what I was suing but if I have to I'll keep using that method.
    Monday, December 12, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Hi pstoric,

Do you consider my above suggestion? Using Group policy to control outlook autodiscover, this would be an alternative method.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:18 AM
  • So they're going to keep separate non-synchronized for on-premises AD and for Exchange Online, then?

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 3:08 AM
  • I got an answer from the office 365 community telling me that we can run this "Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity “CAS Name” -AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri $NULL" once on the on premise Exchange server and that will accomplish what we want to do and relieve the need for us to run that reg key on each workstation.
    • Proposed as answer by Koh Chee Wai Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:58 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:30 PM
  • I want to point out that if you have a synchronized directory using Azure AD Connect or the like, you must retain an Exchange server on premises to do recipient management functions.  It's not a good idea to try to do this with ADSI Edit or the like.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 3:25 PM
  • We're not using Azure. Simple SBS environment we're migrating to Office 265 for email and then migrating off the SBS platform to Server 2012 R2 after the mail migration.
    • Edited by pstoric Tuesday, December 13, 2016 3:30 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 3:29 PM
  • So you're getting rid of SBS entirely, then?

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 3:57 PM
  • What I do for deployments post-mailbox migration:

• Configure an autodiscover CNAME record (autodiscover.domain.com > autodiscover.outlook.com)
    • Disable Exchange on-premises SCP record.

Once that's done, clients not be able to find an on-premises SCP record and will be directed to Office 365.

Friday, December 16, 2016 9:49 PM
  • Depending on your Exchange SBS version, you can either do a cutover migration (if it's legacy SBS with Exchange 2003) or install an additional Exchange 2013 server (if it's SBS 2008) and run the Hybrid Configuration Wizard.
    Friday, December 16, 2016 9:52 PM
  • Eventually yes but we are not using the on prem server for email anymore and we have no azure integration. Cut off migration to office 365.
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 7:08 PM
  • Thanks for the fix, use your method and it solve my problem!!
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:59 AM