none
Project professional 2010 out of memory when opening multiple projects from project server. RRS feed

• Question

• A lot of our project managers experience out of memory errors when opening multiple project files fom project server 2010.
    Would this be related to certain projects or is this a known problem.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Plessers,

Are you using Projet Pro 32 bit?

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:03 PM
  • What are the specs on the user machines? In particular, how much RAM, what OS? When I've seen this happen in the past, the systems were grossly underpowered.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:04 PM
  • It is on a windows 7 32 bit system with 4Gb of RAM.
    Don't know the CPU power.
    SP1 is installed

Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:07 PM
  •  

Is this issue is always reproducible using specific project plans and from different systems?

32 bit Project Pro has hard limit of 2 GB memory usage, please check usage of memory by winproj.exe when project managers start experiencing out of memory issue (Right click on task bar and select Task Manager, click on Processes tab look for winproj.exe )

Also would appreciate if you could provide more details about project plans like master project, number of tasks, and duration of the project plan.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Hello Plessers,

I faced the same problem sometime back. The resolution came through first changing the size of cache. I spotted that cache size was 50 MB by default. I increased it in my case to 512 MB and it worked.

If the problem persists and if your project structure is one that includes many sub-projects in a master then you better switch over to 64 bit Project Professional.

Regards,

Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:59 AM
  • thanks for the tip, I will soon try it out.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:11 PM