none
suspend a project (some tasks) for a while RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I work Microsoft Project Server 2010, i have a project that started sometimes ago and some tasks is completed, now i want to interrupt it for a while and start again. How can i do?

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

did you try to move all incomplete tasks to future using Project - Update Project - Reschedule uncompleted work to start after?

I think that is what you may looking for.

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

I would say that the best way wold be to recreate a new task since it has been completed up to a certain stage, thus it has produced a deliverable. Now if it is starting again, it should produce or improve a develirable. It thus might be relevant to create a new task.

That being said, if you do need to keep on working on the same task, you could simply add remaining work to the existing resources or add new resources on the task. To do that, you could split your screen and use the task form (schedule information) to add resources with a new actual start date.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 9:23 AM
  • yes, i do all of them

split tasks can solve this problem?

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Hi,

"Reschedule uncompleted work to start after" will do the split for you.

• If a task is not yet started, it will be moved completely
    • If a task is completed, it will not be moved
    • If a task is started but not yet completed, the remaining part will be moved.

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 10:50 AM
  • thanks for your attention

I should to say, Reschedule uncompleted task cause to increase finish variance, but i don't want it.

i want to register delay item in project whiteout any changes in finish variance.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 1:18 PM
  • It seems to be a bit inconsistent. If you want to add work, it means that there is more work than expected when you saved your baseline. Thus it should be normal to impact your finish variance. 

If you don't want to impact the variance, then you should create a new task.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:08 PM