Cursor keeps getting "stuck", needs Esc key to help release it. Somehow this also affects other aspects of the system... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I've been having some issues recently where my cursor will suddenly get stuck somewhere on the page, and I can't move it until I hit the Esc key to "release" it. I have a laptop (Acer Aspire 5251-1940), and use the laptop's mouse, though I recall this issue happening when I used a USB mouse in the past as well. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it seems to come in waves. This seems to also affect things like the volume on my Windows Media Player while I'm using it (the mouse will "stick" and I will have to sit and watch the volume slider on WMP move all the way down to 0, and can't fix it until I hit Esc to release the mouse again).

I also have issues with various keys on my keyboard not functioning properly - ie. I can only use the right shift key to make capital "I", "J", and "K", the left produces nothing, and the only way I can make a capital "M" is to hit the caps lock key. I feel like this must be related to the mouse issue, and maybe there's a specific key that's stuck, or something within the system that's catching?

Thanks in advance!

Friday, August 31, 2012 8:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you remember if you have made any changes before the issue occur? Have you tried the system restore?

Here is my suggestions:

1. Update all your drivers.

2. Using anti-virus program to scan the system.

3. Boot in Clean Boot mode and Safe Mode to exclude 3rd party software’s effect.

4. If possible, use the external keyboards to test the keyboard issue.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 6:42 AM