none
MIM 2016 installation ending prematurely - deployment solutions issue? RRS feed

• Question

• Good day everyone

I am having issues with my MIM 2016 installation. I have run the .exe as an administrator, and tried the .MSI with command from elevated prompt as ( msiexec /i “k:\Service and Portal\Service and Portal.msi” /l*v c:\temp\install.log ). Both hang on the Databaseupgrade.exe command pop-up, but after that both end prematurely, with the deployment solutions hanging then it retracts/rolls back.

SQL Server 2016 and Sharepoint 2016 are on one machine (call it 02), on a Server 2016 platform. I am trying to install MIM service and portal on here. Sync services are on machine 01 (also server 2016).

SQL and Sharepoint appear to have been successful in their installations (following BJTechNews Youtube video, with some differences due to version differences), but MIM keeps on falling over.

I have manually tried deploying the microsoftidentitymanagement.wsp and microsoftilmportalcommondlls.wsp via CAS, both show as deployed, but after the installer fails, the latter wsp is retracted and removed. The installer also fails when there are no solution packs.

I've tried playing with ports, bindings etc. and still can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Please help. I have been spinning my wheels for ages, been looking everywhere from IIS, in CAS, checked my Sharepoint config. The verbose log output doesn't have a stop error highlighted to indicate a specific issue - just throws a 1603 error at the end.

Kindest regards

Darren

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 1:12 PM

All replies

• Good day everyone

I am having issues with my MIM 2016 installation. I have run the .exe as an administrator, and tried the .MSI with command from elevated prompt as ( msiexec /i “k:\Service and Portal\Service and Portal.msi” /l*v c:\temp\install.log ). Both hang on the Databaseupgrade.exe command pop-up, but after that both end prematurely, with the deployment solutions hanging then it retracts/rolls back.

SQL Server 2016 and Sharepoint 2016 are on one machine (call it 02), on a Server 2016 platform. I am trying to install MIM service and portal on here. Sync services are on machine 01 (also server 2016).

SQL and Sharepoint appear to have been successful in their installations (following BJTechNews Youtube video, with some differences due to version differences), but MIM keeps on falling over.

I have manually tried deploying the microsoftidentitymanagement.wsp and microsoftilmportalcommondlls.wsp via CAS, both show as deployed, but after the installer fails, the latter wsp is retracted and removed. The installer also fails when there are no solution packs.

I've tried playing with ports, bindings etc. and still can't see what I'm doing wrong.

Please help. I have been spinning my wheels for ages, been looking everywhere from IIS, in CAS, checked my Sharepoint config. The verbose log output doesn't have a stop error highlighted to indicate a specific issue - just throws a 1603 error at the end.

Kindest regards

Darren

I had a recent issue that sounds like it was about the same.  I think I needed to make sure that both the account I was using for installation and the mim service account had more access to the database server (I think dbo on the dbs and rights to create databases at a minimum - dbo should probably not be left for the mim service account).
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 4:39 PM
  • Hi there Jordan

Thanks for the reply.

I'm logged onto machine 02 as MIMAdmin when running all operations, installations etc. In SQL, the MIMAdmin, MIMSSPR (password reset), MIMSharePoint (farm account), MIMPRAP (password registration AP) all have dbcreator, public, securityadmin and sysadmin server roles. MIMService (service account) and MIMpool (IIS etc. pool account) have public server roles only. THe MIMSyncAdmins group has public and sysadmin roles.

Does this cover what you were referring to for SQL? I'm not a SQL or sharepoint buff at all (just been playing with this from no experience for a few days now).

All MIM accounts are added into the log on as a service under user rights assignment. All of them are currently in the administrators group on machine 02.

SharePoint passed the prerequisites and installed without issues. Machine and products appear to be fully patched.

In the MIM Portal installation, any account addition step specifically referencing IIS or pool I use the MIMpool account. Otherwise PAM would get the MIMPAM, service is MIMService, etc.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:57 AM