Storage LUN Capacity Monitor RRS feed

• Question

• I have VMM 2012 R2 and OpsMgr 2012 R2 integrated. I am also using VMM to talk to our two NetApp filers using the SMI-S provider.  Only three LUNs (out of MANY) are allocated to the two HyperV hosts. One of the management packs, "System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 Storage Monitoring" has a monitor called "Storage LUN Capacity Monitor". It has triggered an alert for 3 LUNs.  The RemainingCapacity property is reporting a higher amount than I think it should be.  When I look at the LUNs in VMM, there doesn't appear to be a problem with the LUNs and when I look on the NetApp system manager, the LUNs look fine too.  I haven't found any documentation that explains this monitor or how it obtains it's information.  Can anyone point me in a direction to research?
    Monday, July 14, 2014 3:32 PM

Answers

• After working with NetApp, it is discovered that Windows and SCVMM are misinterpreting the data that is being delivered by the SMI-S agent.  SCVMM is translating used space into free space - essentially flipping the value.  Operations Manager is correctly picking up the value from SCVMM and kicking the alert.  SCVMM is just providing bad information. 

NetApp is opening a support case with Microsoft.  NetApp said that the issue is with Windows/SCVMM and has nothing to do with their implementation of SMI-S.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Friday, July 18, 2014 1:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, it seems like that the monitor gives wrong alerts. I would like to suggest you re-check the alert details and find out whether the alert is not fired correctly.

To understand more about the monitor, please refer to the management pack guide for more information also.

If the monitor always give wrong alert, we may need to override it or disable it.

Regards,

Yan Li

Regards, Yan Li

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:44 AM
  • After working with NetApp, it is discovered that Windows and SCVMM are misinterpreting the data that is being delivered by the SMI-S agent.  SCVMM is translating used space into free space - essentially flipping the value.  Operations Manager is correctly picking up the value from SCVMM and kicking the alert.  SCVMM is just providing bad information. 

NetApp is opening a support case with Microsoft.  NetApp said that the issue is with Windows/SCVMM and has nothing to do with their implementation of SMI-S.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Friday, July 18, 2014 1:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, July 23, 2014 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:30 PM