none
COPY / PASTE ISSUE PROJECT 2010 PROFESSIONAL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi -

We have just installed Project Server 2010, and a copy of Project Professional 2010, replacing a stand-alone install of Project 2003 pro.

When I copy tasks, either singly or multiples, the "paste" icon immediately greys out, and will not let me paste.  I can copy and paste individual elements, such as the task name, or resource name, but not entire tasks. I can select a group of tasks and fll these down using the "fill handle" (sorry not sure what it's called officially, but its the small black square at the bottom right of the active cell) - but doing so copies the predecessors and successors in an absolute, rather than relative manner, which is not what I want.

This is really irritating - this was a really simple operation in Project 2003. My problem is that we have many small projects, often with repeating groups of tasks, which don't lend themselves to being created as repeat tasks.  Help!  What am I doing wrong? 

I should add that I have incorporated custom Enterprise fields in the view, and these are included in the fields I am trying to copy and paste.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

- Steve

• Edited by SixBigFish Monday, December 10, 2012 12:36 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 12:36 PM

All replies

• Steve, I'm having trouble replicating your problem. When whole tasks (including custom fields) are selected and copied (either with the Tasks:Clipboard Copy icon or with Ctrl+C) the paste function (the icon or Ctrl+V) works as you would wish, including relative addressing for task dependencies. The fill down option does copy absolute dependency addresses as you observe.

I wonder if there's something subtle in your selection of tasks. Which view are you using? Split screen (Details or Timeline displayed)?

Graham

Monday, December 10, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Graham -

Thanks.  I am viewing the Enterprise Gantt Chart, full screen, no split. Having said that, i just noticed that if I change the view to Gantt Chart, rather than Enterprise Gantt, the copy/paste works. But obviously I am not copying and pasting the custom fields then..

Steve

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Steve, if you copy/paste tasks, all custom data should be copied even if it's not displayed when you do the copy. If you want reassurance on this, set up your own custom view with the extra fields and copy/paste using that.

Graham

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:32 PM
  • SixBigFish --

In addition to the sage advice given to you by others so far, I want to caution you about using cut/copy/paste of entire task rows in enterprise projects.  We warn all of our clients against doing this, as this action can lead to a corrupted enterprise project.  The safest way to copy and paste is to select the Task Name and Duration cells only for a block of tasks, and then to paste them.  If you need to copy and paste a block of tasks over and over again, you can create a stand alone project containing the block of tasks, and then save it as an MPP file.  Then you can safely insert the block over and over again using the Insert Project dialog, without running the risk of corrupting your project.  To do this, refer to the steps detailed in this previous post:

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:46 PM
  • We usually train our people to move tasks around in a file by selecting a task (or group of tasks) by clicking the row then dragging it to correct place in the file.  The operation of cut and paste severs the links to any task in the file and then you are asking MS-Project to restore that link, now to an item that is in a different place.  The cut and paste method has perfomance issues, and I have seen instances when links are not restored with the paste if there are links to external files or if the record(s) have SharePoint Deliverables/Dependencies.

If you are moving the tasks that are physically in a much different place in the file, the "click and drag" method can be cumbersome as you scroll through the file.  In this case, we teach people to use the "Marked" field to highlight the task(s) that they want to move, plus the task before and after the tasks that they want to move.  At the other end of the file "mark" the two tasks that sandwich the area to which the tasks will be moved.  Use autofilter on the "Marked" field to reduce the problem to be where you are going from to where you are going to. Now you can safely click and drag the desired tasks from one location to another location painlessly.  By the way, this whole process can also be used to copy task(s) if you do a Ctrl+Click+Drag.

The one "catch" to this procedure is that it will not allow you to click+drag a record between projects in a Master-Sub-Project relationship.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Hi all,

I could resolve this by removing defunct Enterprise custom field columns from the table definition. I probably had added these at some point to the table, then removed them from Server Settings Enterprise Custom fields and forgot to check the table definitions.

Cheers,

Bram

www.projectexpert.nu

www.projectexpert.nu

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:27 PM
  • Does that view have a sort or filter or grouping applied? If so try removing them.

It is possible that View is corrupt so you could try:

1. applying a different View
    2. delete the old one using the Organizer
    3. recreate the original View

You may also need to delete and recreate the original table that holds the set of columns. And yes, make sure any unused custom fields are removed from the table.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:41 PM
  • Make sure you are SP2.  Not that SP2 is perfect, but anything less is very buggy.

Chris

Friday, February 6, 2015 2:31 PM
  • I ran into copy/paste problem. I was in Gantt chart where i couldnt perform copy and paste. Whereas in Enterprise Grantt chart view i was able to perform copy and paste.
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:48 AM
  • Murali,

This is a very old thread with a two versions of Project being released since the original issue was posted for Project 2010. I suggest you post a NEW thread and tell us what version of Project you are using. Also explain exactly what you are trying to do.

John

Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:25 PM