Stripping the Hardware Abstraction Layer ((HAL) RRS feed

• Question

• I want to upload an image without the HAL.  How can I strip it off, thanks.
    Friday, June 17, 2011 3:48 PM

All replies

• Your post does not make a lot of sense.  The HAL is part of the operating system base.

How to ask a question

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Sorry I was unclear.  I was wondering if it is possible to upload an image that was HAL independent, like what was mentioned here, but for Windows XP.

Image Management

Windows Vista images are Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL)-independent. You can maintain a single Windows image that applies to all HAL types. However, you will need to maintain different images for different processor architectures (32-bit and 64-bit platforms).

ImageX

ImageX is a new Microsoft imaging technology that is designed specifically for deployment. ImageX supports the latest Windows image (.wim) file format used in Windows Vista. ImageX is a command-line tool built on the Imaging APIs for Windows.

I'm starting to think that it is not possible.  It sounds like this is a feature new to Vista and later but not for XP.  Nevermind.

Friday, June 17, 2011 5:49 PM