none
DPM Missing Recovery Points but no Alert? RRS feed

• Question

• I went to do a restore for a user today to find that there hasn't been a recovery point in the last 1.5 days on two of my pg's both are plain file servers. What is odd is that I have had no alert for any failed jobs and they both fire 3 times a day so I should have 3 recovery points each day. I know that alerts are working as I had a couple yesterday about failed recovery points not the two in question.

What is more interesting is my reports are different than using the restore function the dates of restore points are different? This is very worrying as I havn't been able to restore the users work and how can I rely on backup software that doesn't report on failed jobs?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thursday, November 22, 2012 11:25 AM

All replies

• Hi

What version of DPM are you running?

If you look at the event viewer or DPM logs do you pick up any issues? Do you have adequate space available in the group for the backups to run?

Can you run a manual backup and see what happens?

Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Hi,

Could you confirm that there have been no recovery points created by selecting the folder or share which is being backed up under the Protection group configured and looking at the details pane (at the bottom of the screen). Is the lastest recovery point is of an earlier date than current?

If the above stated statement is true, then go to the DPM Alerts tab -> Jobs -> choose the filter "Failed Jobs for yesterday and today". See if there are any errors or failures for the data source in question.

Try creating a recovery point manually too - See if that fails and if it does then what is the error message. The situation which you are facing can be faced when DPM does not execute the scheduled job.

Please let me know the output.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All. Regards, AJ (MSFT)

• Proposed as answer by ANUJ_MSFT Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ANUJ_MSFT Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Hi

The "Failed Jobs for yesterday and today reports no issues" if I manually create them they work fine with no errors. I does look like it is not executing the scheduled tasks.

I have just checked and I have a PG that has "file recovery points" set for 12.30 mon-fri and "Application recovery points" set for 13.00 mon to fri. Its now 12.50 and the "file recovery points" has not happened I have no alerts to warn me of this failure. If I go to "jobs" and filter "Todays Jobs" I can see the PG and when its expanded the "file recovery points" are not listed but the sql "Application recovery points" are and are set to fire at the correct time.

It does look like scheduled tasks are being missed with no alert?

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi,

are there any news on that? I have the exact same problem with ALL of my jobs (Fileserver, DB and Exchange). Everything is green, no alerts, enough diskspace and the future tasks appear as they should - but they don't start. They just dissappear without any warning whatsoever.

I can create a recorery point manually without any problem.

Evenviewer is empty. No errors. What am I facing?

Greetings, menefre
    Please mark questions as answered!

Friday, March 15, 2013 10:07 AM
  • We are having the exact same issue here. DPM 2012, running it's SQL database off of another server. I suspect SQL may be the cause but not sure.

It is SQL Server 2008 R2 Full on the remote server, running Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. The DPM server is running 2008 R2 Standard. We can manually run jobs with no problem but the scheduled jobs are not running, and there are not any alerts/errors in event viewer or in DPM. Not sure where to look here.

Monday, April 8, 2013 6:02 PM
  • For us the answer was found in this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/ed65d3e0-c7d7-488b-ba34-4a2083522bae/

the sql agent of the instance stopped. Obviously this agent triggers the jobs.

Greetings, menefre
    Please mark questions as answered!

Monday, April 8, 2013 9:02 PM