MSCE Fails to Install. Setup Log attached. Please Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I'm running Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Enterprise as a DC. I've got Microsoft System Center Service Manager 2010 installed. That install went through without fault.

However upon trying to install MSCE i get an error just saying: "System Center Essentials failed."

So i uninstalled what reminant were there from that first install, and then i removed WSUS, restarted then upon boot i stop all services pertaining to MSCSM and run the MSCE setup again, to the same outcome.

Im also using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2. I've removed the Virtualization Management Component as it isn't required, also I've set it so each managed computer will download their own updates individually. As i don't want them all stored centrally. The following is pastebin link is for my Setup Log: http://pastebin.com/UfhEHga7

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brendan

Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:39 PM

Answers

• Hey Nicholas,

Yeah i also have SQL Server 2008 SP1 installed. But i dont think that's the problem. As previously i HAVE run MSCE on MSQLS2008R2 without an issue. :) I've found out that it isnt possible to run MSCSM and MSCE on the same server. Slightly annoying but i guess I'll have to deal for another week until the new server comes in and then i can just split them :) Thanks for your help though mate.

Monday, August 9, 2010 2:49 AM

All replies

1. MSI (s) (40:58) [00:30:31:860]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI1C87.tmp, Entrypoint: ValidateConfigGroup
    2. Action start 0:30:31: _ValidateConfigGroup.8B971A95_4A1B_4552_AF45_A14DE010402F.
    3. ValidateConfigGroup: Configuration Group Name. BT-DC_MG
    4. ValidConfigGroup: There is already a Server Management Group, cannot add one more. Error Code: 0x80070057. BT-DC_MG
    5. MSI (s) (40!5C) [00:30:31:897]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding IsValidMgmtGroup property. Its value is '0'.
    6. ValidateConfigGroup: Failed to validate Configuration Group. Error Code: 0x80070057.
    7. ValidateConfigGroup: Returned value. Error Code: 0x80070057.
    8. CustomAction _ValidateConfigGroup.8B971A95_4A1B_4552_AF45_A14DE010402F returned actual error code 1603

What management group name did you use for Service Manager? 

Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Tim,

Hi, i used the Mangement Group from MSCSM - which is called Mangement Group :). However it didn't ask me for any Mangement Group type things during the setup for MSCE

Friday, July 30, 2010 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

Please try again after running the Essentials Server Cleanup Tool:

System Center Essentials 2010 Resource Kit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32b2872a-a31d-4db1-abe8-018d91bf3942&displaylang=en#filelist

If the issue persists, please run the installation package with “Run as Administrator” option; or use an account with higher privileges.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 10:18 AM
  •  

Hi,

I also noticed that you are using SQL Server 2008 R2. SQL Server 2008 R2 is not supported in System Center Essentials 2010.

System Requirements and Supported Platforms for System Center Essentials 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb422876.aspx

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 2, 2010 2:22 AM
  • Hey Nicholas,

Yeah i also have SQL Server 2008 SP1 installed. But i dont think that's the problem. As previously i HAVE run MSCE on MSQLS2008R2 without an issue. :) I've found out that it isnt possible to run MSCSM and MSCE on the same server. Slightly annoying but i guess I'll have to deal for another week until the new server comes in and then i can just split them :) Thanks for your help though mate.

Monday, August 9, 2010 2:49 AM