Outlook contacts and recent people list showing wrong email address for the contact RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a user on the Click to Run version of Office using Outlook and getting weird issues with their contacts.

It was first noticed when the user was trying to select a contact from the 'recent people' drop-down that replaced autocomplete, but we also realized the issue persists in the contacts section of Outlook.

I tried clearing the autocomplete cache, but that didn't change anything.  Tried a new Outlook profile which also didn't work.

The email address doesn't match the name of the contact.

In the contacts section, the contact is correct in the card on the right and in the fields, but the pop-up for the contact is a different person.  This is happening with multiple contacts.

• Edited by H8N8M8 Wednesday, February 27, 2019 3:39 PM changed wording
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>> The email address doesn't match the name of the contact.
    Is the name incorrect or the address is incorrect?

>> In the contacts section, the contact is correct in the card on the right and in the fields, but the pop-up for the contact is a different person.  This is happening with multiple contacts.
    Does this “pop-up” mean that when you hover over the contact in the “to field” there is a box appears?

Given this situation,  your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.

It is also suggested to select email addresses from Outlook contacts using the Address book and see if there is any difference.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:10 AM
  • Thanks for the response Aidan!

The email address is correct, but the name is wrong in each circumstance.

>> Does this “pop-up” mean that when you hover over the contact in the “to field” there is a box appears?

The pop up I was referring to was in the contacts section of outlook, when you hover over the 'email' field for a contact.  But yes, the same sort of pop-up appears when hovering over the contact in the 'to field'.  It's got the wrong name but the correct email address, title, and company.  This is happening for just about every contact. When selecting the email address from the address book, or the 'check names' button, the correct email address pulls down, but the name in the 'recent people' list and in that pop-up are still incorrect.  So it seems that there's nothing wrong with the contact or address book, but instead something wrong with either the autocomplete function (clearing the autocomplete cache didn't help), or the recent people list, or wherever the information for those 'pop-ups' comes from.

Starting Outlook in safe mode, the pop-ups for recent contacts/autocomplete and the pop-up in contacts didn't even appear at al

I finally managed to get it working again by exporting her contacts to a CSV, deleting all the contacts, then importing the contacts back into outlook.

Must have been some sort of corruption in her contacts - not sure why it caused the weird issues with incorrect names, but hey it's fixed now.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by H8N8M8 Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by H8N8M8 Monday, March 4, 2019 4:09 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 6:15 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to see that your issue was successfully resolved and thanks for your sharing.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, March 1, 2019 1:37 AM
  • Looks like I spoke too soon...  The issue was temporarily resolved by deleting and re-importing the contacts.  This week, the recent people list and other similar outlook contact 'pop-ups' have the wrong names again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Monday, March 4, 2019 4:11 PM
  • I'm having the same problem....imported Gmail contacts into Outlook.  When working with the List view all contacts are fine.  When working with the People view alot of the contacts have these same display problems...right name but wrong info...like some of the contacts got all mixed up. But like I said....they are all correct in the List view and in the separate People laptop app...it's just the People view within the full Outlook application that seems to be messed up.

Friday, February 28, 2020 6:55 PM