none
Accounting for resource hours RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been asked how best to set up the following scenario:

I have one resource assigned to several tasks in a project schedule.  The resource sometimes (key word is sometimes) asks for help with her assigned tasks from another resource in her department who is not assigned to the task.  The assigned resource is ultimately responsible for the task.  The unassigned resource helped out after the project schedule was approved.

In this example, if the assigned resource worked 6 hours and the unassigned resource worked 4 hours, what are some of the best practices (and least amount of manual work) to account for 10 hours of work for that task.  We don't want to assign 10 hours to one resource because that could over allocate that person, but we do want to account for the work effort it took to complete the task.

One thought we had was to task reassignment (under tasks in PWA), but that would only work if the entire task was delegated.  We don't really want to add the "helper" resource to the project schedule.  We are just unsure as to the best, most efficient approach and so we thought, why not ask :)!

Any insights would be helpful.  Thank you!

Kerry Soltysinski

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Kerry,

Your request sounds strange to me. If you're tracking the project progress, you should track the 4hrs done by the "helper", otherwise you'll never get the right picture of your project status in terms of schedule and cost.

Starting drom there, you could:

• Ask the project manager to assign the helper on the task,
    • Ask the helper to self-assign on the task in PWA,
    • Create a macro task, something like "task support for helpers" with an estimate workload (25% unit for example). The con of this last solution is that you don't get the work on the right task.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Kerrsol Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:05 PM
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Kerry,

Your request sounds strange to me. If you're tracking the project progress, you should track the 4hrs done by the "helper", otherwise you'll never get the right picture of your project status in terms of schedule and cost.

Starting drom there, you could:

• Ask the project manager to assign the helper on the task,
    • Ask the helper to self-assign on the task in PWA,
    • Create a macro task, something like "task support for helpers" with an estimate workload (25% unit for example). The con of this last solution is that you don't get the work on the right task.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Kerrsol Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:05 PM
    Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:29 PM
  • Thank you so much.  I forgot about the team assignment pool option. 

Kerry Soltysinski

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:06 PM
  • Hi Kerry,

Be aware that with team assignment pool in Project Server, when a resource from the pool takes the task, it cannot be taken anymore by a second resource. This is a 1-1 relation. So you won't be able to allow both the doer and the helper to take the task.

It has be improved (see the article below) in Project Online to allow 1-n relation, meaning that more than 1 members can take the task assigned to their team.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/projectsupport/2016/12/02/project-online-new-ways-to-work-with-team-assignments/

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:12 PM
  • That is great information.  Thank you so much for send that link, it is very helpful!!

Kerry Soltysinski

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:41 PM