Export VM configuration only (no VHDX) Hyper-V Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi- 

A year or so ago 2014/2015 I either exported or backed up several Hyper-V virtual machines from Windows 8 or 8.1.  This process saved only the configuration files, and it was up to me to keep the VHD files in a safe location and remember where that location was.   Today 2/17/16 I successfully imported these VM's into Windows 10 Hyper-V environment, worked without a hitch, great !   Bare with me almost there.   I have created a new VM in Windows 10 Hyper-V from a VHDX file that was previously created in Windows 8, this machine had not been exported like the others, all I had was the VHDX.    I now have a new VM up and running and activated and would like to export the configuration files just like I did a couple years ago. This is so that I maintain all VM;s in a consistent manner while preserving software activation.   I can't find the simple method for doing this in the Windows 10 Hyper-V environment. The only methods I find also export the entire VHDX as well. This was a very simple process before and if any of you developers out there do this routinely in your sleep, I'd appreciate a little help.  The method I used did not involve any scripts and so forth.  I thought it was a simple as clicking export, then electing to do a config only export without VHDX, pointing it where to save the config files and away you go, a beautiful simple easily reversible (import later on same or different hyper-v box)

solution, it worked great.   Any guidance would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:14 PM