Windows 7 & Internet Explorer 8 Stability issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently upgraded my PC from Vista (32 Bit Home Premium) to Windows 7 (32 Bit Home Premium). IE8 (which I understand comes with the upgrade) is unusable. The browser accesses my default home page, the home page disappears and I get an error message saying "The tab has recovered. There was a problem with this webpage and IE had to close and reopen (pre Windows 7 upgrade IE8 worked perfectly). The browser then freezes and the toolbar disappears.

Is anyone else having the same problems?

Does anyone have any ideas how the above issue could be fixed? I don't really want to have to uninstall Windows 7 and go back to Vista.

Regards

DavoKilo
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 7:27 PM

Answers

• Thank you Ztrucker and Jobin Joshua for your prompt and intelligent suggestions.

Stupidly, and before I saw your suggestions, I took the "cowards" way out/line of least resistance, and downgraded the PC back to Windows Vista!

At some stage I will pluck up the corage to reinstall Windows 7, and if I still have issues with IE8, I will try your suggestions.

Thank you both for your help.

Regards

DavoKilo
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:49 PM

All replies

• Try starting IE8 without Add-ons, see if that works.

Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

If yes, then you need to determine which Add-on is causing the problem. Do this via Tools / Manage Add-ons in IE8.

Rich
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Thank you for your reply Ztrucker.

I have tried starting IE8 as per your suggestion. Unfortunately, IE8 is still behaving erratically as per my previous description.

I have now installed Google Chrome on the PC, which works perfectly. But I really would like to be able to use IE8 (which was working perfectly when Vista was running).

If you, or anyone else, has any other ideas, they would be very welcome.

Regards

DavoKilo
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Need some way to reinstall IE8 I think.

Try this. Open Control Panel then Programs and Features.
    In the left pane, click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    Uncheck Internet Explorer 8 then click on OK.
    A reboot is required.

Once it completes, you should not have IE8 any more, so you have two choices.
    One is to go back into Programs and Features and turn on IE8 then reboot and see what happens.
    The other is to go to install the latest avaialble from MS.

Google shows the following: download internet explorer 8 - Google
    Rich
    Monday, November 2, 2009 6:58 PM

• Hi DavoKilo,

Is your problem resolved?

you may try to reset your Internet Explorer settings.You should delete all add-ons and customizations and basically start with a fresh version of Internet Explorer.

Or Uninstall the old version and install the new IE8 from microsoft website.

Does every other application working properly?

Thanks,

Jobin

• Proposed as answer by Jobin Joshua Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:07 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Jobin, how do you uninstall IE8 from Windows 7? Do oyu do it differently than what I've already described?

Rich
    Monday, November 2, 2009 10:38 PM
  • Ztruker

You can uninstall or remove IE8

Check this link

thanks

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 12:55 PM
  • That's what I already said. I thought there was another way.
    Rich
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Thank you Ztrucker and Jobin Joshua for your prompt and intelligent suggestions.

Stupidly, and before I saw your suggestions, I took the "cowards" way out/line of least resistance, and downgraded the PC back to Windows Vista!

At some stage I will pluck up the corage to reinstall Windows 7, and if I still have issues with IE8, I will try your suggestions.

Thank you both for your help.

Regards

DavoKilo
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 4:49 PM
  • You can try running IE in compatibility mode.

go to tools --> Compatibility View Settings

and add your website there

Monday, October 3, 2011 8:15 PM