SCCM w/SQL - limitations? RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to deploy SCCM , I noticed that there is an option to purchase SCCM w/SQL.   From what I have read it seems that a restricted SQL Server Standard edition can be bundled in the purchase.   My question is this:  Are there any limitations when using this bundle?  It seems cost effective if you need to buy SQL just for use with SCCM.

Please advise.

Thanks

Frank

Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:12 PM

Answers

• You are correct. But you have to deal with the limitations that come with the included SQL. As stated in earlier reply's, you can only use is for the SCCM database and may not host other databases in that SQL instance.

Beside that the server hosting SQL and SCCM has to be a heavy box depending on the used resources and the number of clients.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Click on "vote as Helpful" if you feel this post helpful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by ReneB79 Monday, February 6, 2012 12:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by gman2012 Monday, February 6, 2012 12:19 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You are restricted to use it for the SCCM DB only, no other purposes.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec
    • Proposed as answer by danovich_ Monday, February 6, 2012 12:15 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:49 PM
  • It's only allowed to use SQL for ConfigMgr. I've seen different statements when it comes to the WSUS or MDT database though.
    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de
    • Proposed as answer by John Marcum Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:29 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:53 PM
  • on top of Torstens reply, you can also add SCUP (if you are using the old 4.5 version)
    Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund
    Friday, February 3, 2012 5:37 AM
  • Thanks for the replies.   Any restriction as far as database size?   I was told by a Microsoft reseller that the database size was restricted to 5 Gb.  I haven't found any information indicating that is true,  any thoughts?

Thanks

Monday, February 6, 2012 11:17 AM
  • Never heard that limitation.
    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:24 AM
  • There's only a limitation in the SQL "Express" edition. Not on the full SQL install.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Click on "vote as Helpful" if you feel this post helpful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:31 AM
  • My goal was to get a low-cost SCCM environment stood up.   Navigating the Microsoft licensing waters is never easy.   I came across the option of purchasing SCCM with a restricted SQL Server Standard edition included and thought that would be the way to go.  So from your perspective, it looks like I may be correct.   The reseller was trying to sell me a full SQL license for 2 CPUs, which would be a whole lot more expensive than the SCCM with SQL purchase.   Any final thoughts?

Thanks

Frank

Monday, February 6, 2012 11:32 AM
  • You are correct. But you have to deal with the limitations that come with the included SQL. As stated in earlier reply's, you can only use is for the SCCM database and may not host other databases in that SQL instance.

Beside that the server hosting SQL and SCCM has to be a heavy box depending on the used resources and the number of clients.

• Proposed as answer by ReneB79 Monday, February 6, 2012 12:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by gman2012 Monday, February 6, 2012 12:19 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Thanks for all the assistance. :-)
    Monday, February 6, 2012 12:06 PM