App-v 5 - updating .config files RRS feed

• Question

• I've just updated one of our applications which contains a .config file. The file has been edited by the user (through the application) and therefore placed in %localapdata%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\65C01DBA-2EC7-4F05-9648-6962A67A3344\APPV_ROOT.

when I update the application, with a new version of this .config file, the user-edited versions is preserved. 

Is there no way, like in appv 4.6 (the "override" checkbox under the file) to update this file for the users, without having them manually repair their application after update?

regards

Per Bjoern Salling
    systems engineer
    Aalborg Kommune

Monday, December 5, 2016 1:08 PM

Answers

• TS is talking about a delta change made by the user. Those delta changes will always be leading in terms of appv. The overwrite checkbox is there to overwrite local installed files/regkeys, that's not the case here.
    You have 3 options;
    1) Perform a user repair of the package (Repair-AppvClientPackage *packagename* -UserState). You could even script this, but all delta changes made by the user are gone
    2) Create a start script which would run in the VE and replace the file...You would probably need to add some intelligence to let the script carry out the action just once.
    3) Uservoice of feature request.

Roy Essers

Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:52 AM
  • Per Bjorn, you unproposed the answers.

Can you update us with what you need next?

Because it seems like the answer might be that you can't do what you want to do, in which case this would become a feature request, right?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 9:46 PM
    Owner

All replies

• v5 works like v4.6 in terms of merging and overriding files and folder.

If you want to include the .config file into your package and exclude it from the user-profile, you should sequence the folder (add to your package) and adapt the merge/override flag to your needs.

Monday, December 5, 2016 1:19 PM
  • Hi Ben

In 5.1, I don't have this option on the files, as I did in app-v 4.6.

PB Salling

Monday, December 5, 2016 1:45 PM
  • Try the folder that contains your .config file (in the Sequencer).
    Monday, December 5, 2016 2:11 PM
  • the folder does have the option to override the local folder - this is already selected, but does not solve the issue. I think this option is there not to override between versions of the same package, but to override between files already on the machine and the files in the package.
    Monday, December 5, 2016 2:15 PM
  • I am not sure if that option was ever there. I tried with 4.6 too and it did not replace user modified files.

Kiranmayi

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 9:45 PM
  • @Kiranmayi, My experience is that this is working, if the file is marked with override in the sequencer.

PB Salling

Thursday, December 8, 2016 8:01 AM
  • Per Bjorn, you unproposed the answers.

Can you update us with what you need next?

Because it seems like the answer might be that you can't do what you want to do, in which case this would become a feature request, right?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 9:46 PM
    Owner
  • Ed, I think your right. It would be a nice feature. Are you able to raise it as a feature request?

In the meantime I'll use a userscript in userconfig.xml to workaround my issue.

Thanks

Thursday, December 15, 2016 6:21 AM
  • TS is talking about a delta change made by the user. Those delta changes will always be leading in terms of appv. The overwrite checkbox is there to overwrite local installed files/regkeys, that's not the case here.
    You have 3 options;
    1) Perform a user repair of the package (Repair-AppvClientPackage *packagename* -UserState). You could even script this, but all delta changes made by the user are gone
    2) Create a start script which would run in the VE and replace the file...You would probably need to add some intelligence to let the script carry out the action just once.
    3) Uservoice of feature request.

Roy Essers

Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:52 AM
  • Hi Roy, thanks for clarifying.
    Thursday, December 15, 2016 8:57 AM