Branch Office using Cable Service RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home office that uses VPN over a cable connection. I have a server box that I brought home to set up a branch office. I has a Windows 2003 OS that is set up with virtual server 2005 hosting a domain controller and 2 other virtual windows 2003 servers. I have internet access on the server and would like to use it to set up a branch office. My cable service uses DHCP to assign IP addresses and I'm not sure how workable this will be. Has anyone set up a branch office using cable service? Should I set up ISA 2006 on the branch office and work through the BO setup between 2 ISA? Any advice and reference documentation would be appreciated.
    Dan Slaby
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

Thanks for posting here.

After reading you post I understand that we are having some VMs that hosted by a Windows Server 2003 with using Virtual Server 2005 at home and want to make it to communicate with remote main network by going through a VPN tunnel . If misunderstand please let me know.

First all we should have an internet routable address and create a site to site with remote main network by using Windows built-in RRAS or ISA server , the topology is basically like below:

VMs----(Branch Office networking)----RRAS/ISA----(Internet)---- RRAS/ISA----(Main office networking)----hosts

Here is an example on how to set site to site VPN connection between for reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758271(WS.10).aspx

Meanwhile, we should also carefully if want to virtualize a domain controller, epically the virtual network settings and time settings.

Here are some suggestions in the articles below that discussed these scenario for reference :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/janelewis/archive/2008/04/02/recommendations-for-running-a-domain-controller-virtualized-environment-using-virtual-server.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/virtual_active_directory_domain_controller_virtualization_hyperv(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for update.

Yes, fixed address is the best choice .However we know some ISP refuse to provide fixed address for their clients. In this case a workaround is we may use some third party internet domain dynamic registration services , service will automatically detect the current internet address of our site and update this address to an internet domain , connecting to this domain will help to locate the remote site easily.

Regards,

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Thanks for posting here.

After reading you post I understand that we are having some VMs that hosted by a Windows Server 2003 with using Virtual Server 2005 at home and want to make it to communicate with remote main network by going through a VPN tunnel . If misunderstand please let me know.

First all we should have an internet routable address and create a site to site with remote main network by using Windows built-in RRAS or ISA server , the topology is basically like below:

VMs----(Branch Office networking)----RRAS/ISA----(Internet)---- RRAS/ISA----(Main office networking)----hosts

Here is an example on how to set site to site VPN connection between for reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758271(WS.10).aspx

Meanwhile, we should also carefully if want to virtualize a domain controller, epically the virtual network settings and time settings.

Here are some suggestions in the articles below that discussed these scenario for reference :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/janelewis/archive/2008/04/02/recommendations-for-running-a-domain-controller-virtualized-environment-using-virtual-server.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/virtual_active_directory_domain_controller_virtualization_hyperv(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Tiger Li

Friday, October 21, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi Dan,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Tiger Li

Monday, October 24, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Comcast cable uses DHCP to assign addresses to their router. My problem is getting around the DHCP IP. Will I need to get a fixed IP address from Comcast?
    Dan Slaby
    Monday, October 24, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for update.

Yes, fixed address is the best choice .However we know some ISP refuse to provide fixed address for their clients. In this case a workaround is we may use some third party internet domain dynamic registration services , service will automatically detect the current internet address of our site and update this address to an internet domain , connecting to this domain will help to locate the remote site easily.

Regards,

Tiger Li

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:42 AM