Thousands of Mailer-Daemon returns for mails not sent RRS feed

• Question

• My partner, who hardly ever sends e-mail, is getting thousands of Mailer-Daemon returns for messages she hasn't sent. Over 6,000 came in yesterday. I tried putting Mailer-Daemon on to her block list and sure enough, when she checked her mail one hour later, over a thousand more. Any ideas on how to stop this will be greatfully recieved.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 7:57 AM

Answers

• Sounds like she could have a mass-mailer virus on there.

You could mount her hard disk as a second drive in a computer that has virus scan, and scan it that way, but you really need to upgrade her memory. 256 MB sounds painful.

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:42 AM

All replies

• You need to look closely at where the return messages are coming from.

Is it coming from your own mail server?

- In that case it could be a message stuck in its queue. Find and delete the message.

Is it coming from ONE external mail server, or MULTIPLE servers?

Is it referring to a message your partner actually sent, or could it be a message pretending to be from your partner?

Make sure to block the correct address.

Make sure to check your partners computer for malware/virus, as this could be software running in the background, sending out thousands of messages.

A good free anti malware can be found and downloaded from http://malwarebytes.org

Let me know how it goes.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:03 PM
  • They are all, well all the ones I checked, coming from Mailer-Daemon@yahoo.com. Her address is an @btinternet.com one. I believe the two are affiliated. It is not an undelivered notification from one she has sent, we can tell this without too much checking as no messages have been sent from that address since I moved in about 3 years ago. I have tried to block Mailer-Daemon@yahoo.com and it did nothing. Malwarebytes has been used on the computer, it didn't stop this problem. She does, however have no anti virus as her machine only has 256mb of RAM and we can't find one that will work effectivley without slowing the computer to an unusable speed. We suspect a virus is the answer but are powerless to do anything about it for the reason just stated.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 4:16 PM
  • And judging from the 800 she just got, they are failed deliveries to different addresses.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Sounds like she could have a mass-mailer virus on there.

You could mount her hard disk as a second drive in a computer that has virus scan, and scan it that way, but you really need to upgrade her memory. 256 MB sounds painful.

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:42 AM
  • You are so right and for many reasons.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 5:59 AM