Unable to reinstall Corel WordPerfect Office X4 (Corel WPOX4) after uninstalling that software in Spring of 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Over the past several months I have attempted to reinstall the Corel WPOX4 software many, many times. Initially, I received error code 1606 and attempted to rectify that problem (by replacing the master boot record files); now when I try to reinstall Corel WPOX4 software I receive error 1714.

"Error 1714. The older version of WordPerfect Office X4 cannot be removed. Contact your tech support group."

When I use the Mr Fixit software package to attempt to FIX install/uninstall software problems, the listing of software on my computer does not include WPOX4, however, it includes 14 'No name' software items; attempts to get more information by following drections to unstall several of the 'No name' listings yielded the following error message.:

(a)Problem registry key 'was CHECKED'

Detects problems with the registry (Wow64 issue)

(b) Fixing the problem registry key (Wow64 issue) 'was NOT RUN'

Finding and removing the problem registry key (Wow64 issue )

I assume that since FIXing the problem registry key (Wow64 issue) 'was NOT RUN' because the Mr Fixit software doesn't know how to deal with this sort of problem. As a naive user, I don't know whether there might be some way of figuring why the problem cannot be FIXED! Perhaps some expert on Windows Vista can help to figure out a solution.

I am a the licensee of the Windows Vista HP software, I am trying to learn how to solve this problem without performing another recovery procedure.

[As an aside, my HP Pavillion dv9543cl was purchased in August, 2007 from Costco {using a Costo-Am Exp credit card in order to obtain a 3rd year warranty}. After performing about 8-10 recovery procedures during the initial 1.6 years ownership and despite the inconvenience of having to have the HP Co reimage my harddrive because their recovery disks were faulty, my computer's integrated graphics quit.

I had the instrument repaired {using the excellent Am Exp warranty coverage}; this required that the motherboard/graphics hardware built into the HP product be replaced. Since that FIX, I have attempted to become a patient user of the Windows Vista HP software as I have invested a lot {time/cash} on my laptop and the inferior/barely satisfactory service and software {fron both HP and MS} that accompanied it.

In the course of my investigations, I found that the MBR had apparently been corrupted by an unknown viral infection which I initially recognized when attempting to test grammar-checking software which I had downloaded from the WhiteSmoke website. That sortware was detected by Malwarebytes antimalware-software detection to contain a variety PUP (suspicious) entities. I subsequently confirmed that something funny was going on when ran a boot-time analysis using Avast! Antivirus sofware which was set to detect possibly unsafe software. While I thought that the MBR problem was fixed, I never figured what the virus was or how my computer became infected.

I suspect that the 'No name' softwares continue to exist in my system as a consequence of the viral infection. My Google searches have suggested that the WOW64 problem with Win Vista HP reflects something to do with 64 vs 32 bit software. My laptop motherboard has the potential for conversion to 64 bit Windows, however, I have knowing only installed 32 bit sortware. Perhaps some expert on Windows Vista can help to figure out a solution.

Error 1714 is indicated on the MS error list to relate to Microsoft's Word Office software (the trial version of that sortware which had originally been installed at the HP factory was uninstalled prior to my initial installation of the Corel WPOX4 software). I have asked the Corel support for help and they provided essentially NO solution, I have also posted notices of this problem on several tech support forums from which no responses have been forth-coming.]

A problem related to the listing of softwares in the Add/Remove summary in Win Vista HP has been a concern since my system encountered difficulties when attempting to install a recent Windows update for the dot.NET 4 Framework update. After I ran the Mr Fixit sortware to detect/fix that problem, Microsoft Co allowed one of their helpful Indian tech support people guide me through the process of reinstalling all the dot.NET Framework versions 1-4, including updates (a day or two later another update for dotNet Framework 2 presented showed up in the Windows Update panel and I contacted MS Support who provided a list of download sites and instructed me to do that repair myself – which I did). Current examination of my computer's Add/Remove summary lists .NET 1.1 in the Unknowns list at the bottom; dotNET 2 is absent; dotnet Framework 3.5 and dotNET Framework 4 are listed under Microsoft heading. Furthermore, since attempting to initially perform a 'repair' operation on the dotNET Framework 4 (prior to having Microsoft's Indian tech support person reinstall of all of the dotNET versions), the listing of all the Windows/MS updates from day of original HP reimage installation on the harddrive has disappeared and apparently cannot be recovered.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Friday, September 9, 2011 6:16 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Service Packs/Windows Server 2008 Service Packs)
    Friday, September 9, 2011 2:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Carey,

I thought I would let you know that the questions I mentioned earlier this morning seem to have been resolved in-so-far as my Windows Update history are concerned; I am currently able to see updates dating back to the date of manufacture at HP (i.e., June, 2007). I spent time cleaning further and rerunning the sfc and chkdsk routines. It is sort of amazing to me that everything seems to be working as well as ever! Looks as the Mr Fixit program did well!

By the way, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may be able to answer the questions I raised earlier regarding performance of a 'clean install' using the Win Vista HP Recovery Disk ISO file from the Neosmart.net website:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning+ISO+Images+with+ImgBurn

An alternate approach using a downloadable Win Vista HP ISO would also be of interest.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:22 PM

All replies

• Most malware infections will basically corrupt the system files and the only reliable method to fix your issue is to reformat the hard drive and perform a "clean install" of the Windows operating system.  Other than that, you might try contacting Corel Support or one of the appropriate Corel Communities for assistance.
    Carey Frisch

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:50 PM
  • Hi Carey,

Just wanted to let you know that someone at the Mr Fixit shop must have read my post above. In the afternoon, I noticed my computer seemed to become a little slow, so I closed the IE 9 browser windows and started cleaning my system (CCleaner, jv16 PowerTools 2001, Ashampoo Win 7 Optimizer, etc.). Then I tried the Mr Fixit tool for checking software install/uninstall problems; lo-and-behold, it worked this time; furthermore, I was able to uninstall all 14 of the "No name" software items {in the middle of the Add/Remove-equivalent listing} by repeating the operation 14 times. I then cleaned the computer with the same, above-mentioned tools; the CCleaner registry cleaning function showed a huge list of Quatro Pro, Borland, and other related entries, the list of which I copied (could copy and paste here, however, I suspect that anyone who had an interest might post a reply if such info could be of interest). After running the system file check, the Windows Resource Protection software repaired numerous problems; the subsequent chkdsk /f test seemed to hang a bit during the 2nd stage. Upon restarting, I went through the system cleaning procedure again, then the sfc /scannow run, followed by a chkdsk /f /r. I also defragged the system and defragged the registry using components of Ashampoo Win Optimizer 7 suite. Finally, I reinstalled the Corel WPOffice X4 and installed updates this morning. Everything seems to work well.

However, there appears to be more to do as the listing of Windows updates only goes back to this past June (as mentioned above); the System info indicates Win Vista HP with service pack 2. So far, I have noticed no further Windows Updates even though the listing of all updates since my motherboard replacement about a year or so ago is attenuated apparently as a consequence of/coincident with my attempt to repair the dotNET Framework 4 (initial post). I do not know why I see no indication of dotNET Framework 2 (perhaps that is related to the service pack 1 which I also cannot find). Thus, while everything that I am likely to use seems to work satisfactorily, I have no interest in attempting a Recover Procedure again if that can be avoided. I am truly amazed at the coincidence of events because the likelyhood of Corel support to provide a different suggestion from yours is probably remote. I am happy to have access to the WPOX4 software so I can access some older records.  

By the way, I do appreciate your message and would like to perform a 'clean install' of Win Vista HP with the aid of the Win Vista HP Recovery Disk (I am confused as to how to deal with installation of sp 1 and sp 2 in this process?). In reading Fred Langa's article (Windows Secrets

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/

I came across what apears to be an attractive technique for such procedure should one have an original software disk (32 bit; -/+ service packs) which I do not have. On the other hand, I did download the Win Vista HP Recovery Disk ISO file from the Neosmart.net website:

subsequently, I burned it to a DVD. However, I do not know where to find appropriate installation information which Fred Langa seems to have found to work with a regular Windows Vista installation DVD. His idea of using the upgrade option to facilitate easy restoration of the backup software sounds attractive; I just don't know if it can be done with the Neosmart Recovery Disk. Would appreciate any informaton.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Hi Carey,

I thought I would let you know that the questions I mentioned earlier this morning seem to have been resolved in-so-far as my Windows Update history are concerned; I am currently able to see updates dating back to the date of manufacture at HP (i.e., June, 2007). I spent time cleaning further and rerunning the sfc and chkdsk routines. It is sort of amazing to me that everything seems to be working as well as ever! Looks as the Mr Fixit program did well!

By the way, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may be able to answer the questions I raised earlier regarding performance of a 'clean install' using the Win Vista HP Recovery Disk ISO file from the Neosmart.net website:

An alternate approach using a downloadable Win Vista HP ISO would also be of interest.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:22 PM
  • Hi,

Glad it is working now. With regarding to the second inquiry, as this forum focuses on Windows Vista specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to proper forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:51 AM