How to Configure Proper Dial Plan RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Peeps,

I need your help with a issue.

I have a client who has 3 office and 1 central Office. Each site has Its on Main Number. So

Montreal has 438.666.0215 and a toll number

Toronto has 416.625.0542

Calgary has  403.256.2536

Each site has a range of extension numbers so Montreal has 2xx,Toronto has 3xxx and Calgary has 5xx.

Each extension must be accessible from each number. Meaning if someone calls from Montreal number from the PSTN and presses 5xx, It has to register to the extension in Calgary and If someone from Calgary presses 3xx from the PSTN , It has to ring the toronto extension.

I am trying to use Ken's Dialing Rule Optimiser.

In my head I see that I have to create 3 seperate dialing plans based on the range of 2xx-5xx. So that If within lync presses 3xx which of the numbers will it dial. Does it pick up the one closed to my location. I mean If I am in Montreal or do I advise that they dial the name of the person instead. My fear is that when they dial 2xx internally there will always be 3 numbers that pop up , the one from Montreal, Toronto and Calgary.

Any Advise ? 

Friday, July 15, 2016 1:34 PM

Answers

• I am not familiar with AUDC and not sure they have an auto attendant feature. If they do then cannot advise you. If you are going to use Exchange Auto Attendant then you could create three auto attendants one for each site with GAL lookup for users within that site only. Or you can create one AA and just allow extension dialling for any extension by allowing it to dial any. Then there would be no need for complicated work flows. 

I suppose you could also create 3 AAs in the same exchange dial plan with the office main line number assigned to them so when callers call their local number the result is the same.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Proposed as answer by Mark ValeMVP Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:00 AM

All replies

• Robinhood,

You will be fine with creating site level dial plans. Each site has it's own range for extension numbers so that makes normalization easier.

Don't forget about creating E911 location policies as well during your deployment.

-Don

Friday, July 15, 2016 9:05 PM
  • Hi Robinhood,

Based on my understanding , you could directly dial the number.

You could configure dial plan in Lync control panel, voice routing .

For details, please refer to

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398909(v=ocs.15).aspx

Best regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:46 AM
  • Hi

You are better to create user based dial plans rather than site based to be honest. Keep your site based dial plans from non-ev enabled users for conference dial out. It gives you more control over users across your network

As Ken Optimizer spits out 3 dial plans, yes it can be done like this, again gives you more granularity over least cost routing and also keeps it simple etc.

If you wanted one dial plan then specifically for your purpose described ONLY then I am assuming the following

• You have an inbound Auto Attendant that allows dial by extension (Lync doesn't have this from the PSTN)
    • All numbers outbound egress out of the same SBC / Trunk Config
    • You have assigned users a Line URI in each site like Tel:+1<office main line>;ext=XXX

Dial Plan: Standard-User-Dial-Plan

Normalizations

Montreal - Start Digits = ^(2\d{3})$ Translate = +14386660215;ext=$1
    Tornonto - Start Digits = ^(3\d{4})$ Translate = +14166250542;ext=$1
    Calgary -  Start Digits = ^(5\d{3})$ Translate = +14032562536;ext=$1

For dial out you could use caller ID suppression and replace with the main line office number, but that would require 3 voice policies and routes

Alternatively, you can use outbound trunk translation rules and you would only need one to remove the ext=XXX part like

Pattern = ^(\+?\d{11});ext=\d{3}$ Translation = $1

Also advice, try and coach your customer into using 4 digit extensions as 3 digits are considered bad practice, as many service numbers can be misinterpreted as extensions

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Monday, July 18, 2016 8:35 AM
  • Thanks Guys, as I was reading your responses, I discovered that i have left some information off.

Even though the client has 3 offices, the total number of people in all 3 is less than 100 and so I will be installing just a Standard SFB server in a pool pairing state , so just one site.

Yes I will be using a Auto Attendant from AudioCodes which will receive calls from the PSTN to SIP Trunk ( ThinkTel)  to the device. The problem I find is on the in-flow of the call.

Montreal - Start Digits = ^(2\d{4})$ Translate = +14386660215;ext=$1
    Toronto - Start Digits = ^(3\d{4})$ Translate = +14166250542;ext=$1
    Calgary -  Start Digits = ^(4\d{4})$ Translate = +14032562536;ext=$1

So somebody dials the Calgary Number but wants extension 2xxx is there a way that I can forward it to the Montreal AA, Similarly when someone dials the Montreal Number and wants extension 4xxx, can I forward it to the Calgary AA ?

Monday, July 18, 2016 8:28 PM
  • I am not familiar with AUDC and not sure they have an auto attendant feature. If they do then cannot advise you. If you are going to use Exchange Auto Attendant then you could create three auto attendants one for each site with GAL lookup for users within that site only. Or you can create one AA and just allow extension dialling for any extension by allowing it to dial any. Then there would be no need for complicated work flows. 

I suppose you could also create 3 AAs in the same exchange dial plan with the office main line number assigned to them so when callers call their local number the result is the same.

thanks

• Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:00 AM
  • Okay. Thanks
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 12:58 PM