none
Server 2008 R2 - Still getting 0x000000AB (SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT) Bluescreen

Question

• Hello,

we have about 10 Windows Server 2008 R2 RDP & Citrix XenApp 6.5 Server which are fully patched and are still getting the 0x000000AB (SESSION_HAS_VALID_POOL_ON_EXIT) Bluescreens.

Patches installied:

• KB4088875 & KB4088878 (March Patchday)
    • KB4099467 (This patch is supposed to fix this stupid problem)
    • KB4100480 (the patch for the even bigger meltdown hole microsoft did)
    • KB4093108 & KB4093118 (April Patchday)

Why am I still getting this freakin bluescreens?

I'm still weeks away to get my new Server 2016 machines ready and this needs to get fixed! Otherwise i will uninstall this shitty updates again...

Thanks for helping

regards

• Edited by RZ-BV Friday, April 13, 2018 10:40 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2018 10:39 AM

Answers

• We experience the same problem in our XenApp 6.5 environment with W2008R2.

We have a case with Microsoft and they advised us to uninstall update KB4093108.

There might be an issue with this update and is under investigation by Microsoft.

We uninstalled this update on all our XenApp 6.5 servers today, so after the daily reboot this evening we will see if this was the cause.

The BSOD's happens everyday now on one or more servers, so if monday and tuesday everything keeps running, then this update must have been the cause.

Update 7 May 2018:

De-install from update KB4093108 did not have the result we expected. Still BSOD on several servers.

Update 8 May 2018:

Microsoft gives the following information. The issue is with pooltag Gh. This would be fixed in the update due next week. We are waiting for this update.

• Edited by BG2018 Tuesday, May 08, 2018 1:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by RZ-BV Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:18 AM
    Friday, May 04, 2018 12:25 PM
  • Have you (or anyone else) tested it with the recently released patches from the may patchday yesterday?
    Wednesday, May 09, 2018 11:43 AM
  • Yes, we are now stable since applying those patches.
    Monday, May 14, 2018 3:01 PM
  • I've got a reply from Microsoft to install update KB4103718, which is part of the May updates, after the installation our environment was stabel again.

We closed the case with Microsoft.

• Edited by BG2018 Friday, May 18, 2018 6:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by RZ-BV Friday, May 18, 2018 6:10 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 6:08 AM

All replies

• This is happening to me also. All of the same patches and issues.
    Monday, April 16, 2018 5:38 PM
  • Hi,

If BSOD problem happens since March update, if possible, please uninstall these update one by one and check the result. If problem does not happen again, please do not install the update temporarily, and wait for next month update.

Using command line below to un-install specific update:
    Wusa /uninstall /kb:<kb number>

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 7:30 AM
  • This is not really a satisfying solution...
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:00 AM
  • The updates that need to be removed are:

April rollup (security only or full)

March rollup (security only or full)

KB4099467 (the patch that is supposed to fix this exact issue, actually causes it when installed)

We skipped March's update and waited for April's update which was supposed to correct this issue. Can we confirm that it is being considered for the May update?

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:37 PM
  • Hi,

Please disable and un-install the update temporarily. And confirm that if next monthly update will be helpful.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 6:47 AM

• you need to uninstall:

KB4088875 and KB4088878 and KB4088881.

They pose a problem of blue screen 0xAB and this has been identified in particular on RDS servers.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 5:59 AM
  • yes, uninstalling the updates is temporairly fixing the bluescreens.

But since the updates are important and we already can't install the updates of 2 whole months, this can't be a solution!

What about may patchday? Do we get the same bluescreens after installing the rollup patches or will it be fixed by microsoft?

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 6:05 AM
  • Hi,

It is recommended to backup system and important date before any change.

Besides, it is recommended to build a test system and try to install the newly released patch first, if there is no problem, you can try to install it on your production system. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:44 AM
  • Of course we use a backup system. Thats how we restored the last good state.

Sadly its impossible to test it on a test system. We dont get bluescreens if only a few users are logged on and log off afterwards. It only happens for us in the afternoon, after the server was heavily used from at least 25-50 users at once.

We all make failures, but not like that. Its okay for the march patchday where the problem occured first. We uninstalled the patches and waited for the bluescreen hotfix (which in the beginning worked). But after the april patchday microsoft screwed up again and since weeks no new fix got released or heared a single word about this issue. I'm not very optimistic for may patchday...

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

I quite understand the inconvenience it had brought to you. Once problem happens again, please collect the provide me the detail dump file.

Also, if possible, I would recommend you to contact Microsoft Customer Support and Services where more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue. 

Global Customer Service phone numbers:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13948/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 1:34 AM
  • Hi Eve,

same problem here after april patchday..... May I send you our minidump file?

Regards

Marius

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:36 AM
  • Hi Mabornma,

you need to uninstall:

KB4088875 and KB4088878 and KB4088881.

They pose a problem of blue screen 0xAB and this has been identified in particular on RDS servers.

Donnez des informations sur vos environnements ainsi que les codes erreurs. S'il vous plaît n'oubliez pas de "Marquer comme réponse" les réponses qui ont résolu votre problème

Wednesday, April 25, 2018 7:59 AM
  • We experience the same problem in our XenApp 6.5 environment with W2008R2.

We have a case with Microsoft and they advised us to uninstall update KB4093108.

There might be an issue with this update and is under investigation by Microsoft.

We uninstalled this update on all our XenApp 6.5 servers today, so after the daily reboot this evening we will see if this was the cause.

The BSOD's happens everyday now on one or more servers, so if monday and tuesday everything keeps running, then this update must have been the cause.

Update 7 May 2018:

De-install from update KB4093108 did not have the result we expected. Still BSOD on several servers.

Update 8 May 2018:

Microsoft gives the following information. The issue is with pooltag Gh. This would be fixed in the update due next week. We are waiting for this update.

• Edited by BG2018 Tuesday, May 08, 2018 1:14 PM
    Friday, May 04, 2018 12:25 PM
  • Have you (or anyone else) tested it with the recently released patches from the may patchday yesterday?
    Wednesday, May 09, 2018 11:43 AM
    Monday, May 14, 2018 3:01 PM
    Thanks, i will give it a try (at least on one server) and will report back in a few days
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:19 AM
  • I've got a reply from Microsoft to install update KB4103718, which is part of the May updates, after the installation our environment was stabel again.

We closed the case with Microsoft.

• Edited by BG2018 Friday, May 18, 2018 6:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by RZ-BV Friday, May 18, 2018 6:10 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 6:08 AM
  • I can confirm its working with the may updates
    Friday, May 18, 2018 6:10 AM