none
Resource Monitor shows disk activity on wrong disk RRS feed

• Question

• I have a system with multiple physical drives.  The system disk shows activity in the graphs to the right side of the disk tab.  However, in the disk activity panel, where it shows which files are being read/written, it gives the wrong path, to a non-existent location on the other physical disk.

For example, instead of the expected C:\Users\username\ntuser.dat  it lists the file location as D:\1\Users\username\ntuser.dat.

Every file listed in the panel looks like this.

The graph for disk D shows no activity.

Is this something I need to be concerned about.  The system seems to be performing normally.

Friday, April 19, 2013 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What is the exact number of your multiple physical drives?

When you open  files in D, E, F or some other drives, what are the results in resource monitor?

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 22, 2013 8:09 AM

All replies

• I would guess there is something wrong with the way the hard drive is partitioned and the OS is actually not installed on partition 1.  What size are both drives registering as?  It might not be anything to be concerned about in the short term but I would say it could cause you problems and you would want to rebuild the device.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:03 AM
  • Hi,

What is the exact number of your multiple physical drives?

When you open  files in D, E, F or some other drives, what are the results in resource monitor?

Alex Zhao

Monday, April 22, 2013 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

Do you have any update?

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Hi,

I would temporarily close this thread, if you any update, you can reopen it to let me know.

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:23 AM
  • I am seeing the same thing on a SQL server.  The interesting thing is that not only is it showing the wrong drive, but the actual drive designation is oddly formatted.  I have 2 SQLSERVER.exe instances running on P:1\ and P:5\ respectively.   Our P: drive is the paging drive only, but the disk activity 'File' column would suggest it hosts our databases.  Our databases are on a different drive.
    Friday, February 7, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Did you ever figure out why they are showing up in the wrong disk? I'm seeing the same thing. They are similarly showing on P:0\XXXXXXX.ndf|mdf . P is the pagefile drive though and the database files definitely don't live there.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 12:37 AM
  • I'm having the same issue as well after adding a second HDD to my laptop. 

Resource Monitor Disk Activity has all my system files appearing under 'E:0\'

Has anyone found a solution as to why this is happening?

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:42 PM
  • That's not an answer!  I'd like to know what the cause is, since I have a similar situation.
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 10:43 PM
  • Same here!

WTF is P:0\ or similar... It has nothing to do with partition P:\  obviously.

In my case C:\  is represented with P:7\

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 3:01 PM