none
Project 2016 add a static text behind a custom number field. RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to add a static text behind a number value?

I have built custom number with different formuals

One of the custom number i would like to add a static text, for example "$" or "Length" behind.

So when i enter only 100 in the field, it comes out with "100 $" or "100 Length"

Thanks

Friday, March 3, 2017 3:39 PM

All replies

• RGW75,

Simple answer, "no". Number fields can only contain numerical data. If you wish to add text to your value you will need to use a text field (e.g. Text1, Text2, etc.). However, you cannot rollup a text field to task or group summary lines, you can only use the same formula.

If you need summation rollup to summary lines you might want to consider sticking with your custom number fields and then show a custom text field immediately to the right of each number field. Not quite what you want, but real close and easy to implement.

As a more advanced solution you can get what you want with VBA, but it will not automatically update like a custom field formula. With VBA you need to run the macro when you want a rollup although it could be automated to run automatically on file open or close. Well, actually it can be set up to run automatically as each change is made using an Event macro but that's more complicated to set up.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, March 3, 2017 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

Don't know your use case, but have you thought about using resources instead. For the $, you can use a cost resource, or simply a cost custom field. For the "lenght", you could use a material resource, setting the label as "length". 

A workaround would be to create an extra custom field. If you number is in number1 custom field, your formula for the new custom field would be [Number1] & " length".

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Friday, March 3, 2017 3:54 PM