none
system volume folder not accessible and very large

Question

• I got a system volume folder that is not accessible and only the SYSTEM account has access.

I am not able to go in and delete anything. the folder is very large on D drive hidden folder

any idea?

Thursday, June 07, 2018 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi JonDoe321,

May I ask what's the user account you log on the server?

It's normal that this folder prevent everyone from accessing the folder, even users with Administrator permissions.

In general, only system account could see this folder. Since Windows uses this folder for certain system-level features.

I log on as administrator account. Try to access, get the error below. That's normal.

Of courser, as administrator, we could assign permission to administrator account.

Click continue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/309531/how-to-gain-access-to-the-system-volume-information-folder

But based on my knowledge, it is not recommended to delete the folder directly under system volume information. You could consider to reduce the space allocated to System Restore in Windows.

https://www.howtogeek.com/282214/what-is-the-system-volume-information-folder-and-can-i-delete-it/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 08, 2018 7:25 AM
  • Hi,
    Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back
    Best Regards,
    Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 11, 2018 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
     Mary

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:56 AM