Network Load RRS feed

• Question

• Running the MAP toolkit on a 64bit Windows 7 machine seems to kill the network link to a remote site (2mb link) has anyone else come across this? Running the same toolkit on a 32 bit machine is fine. Running the 64bit version on the internal network took around 70mb of the 100mb available
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:08 PM

All replies

• Can you provide some CPU and memory specs for the 32-bit and 64-bit machines? One possibility is if the 32-bit machine has a single CPU running at 1.5 GHz, but the 64-bit machine has 4 CPUs running at 2.5 GHz then MAP is going to be able to push the network harder and potentially saturate the 2 Mb link where the lower-powered 32-bit machine wouldn’t. Also, MAP’s inventory engine does throttle the load it puts on 32-bit machines slightly more aggressively than it does on 64-bit machines.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Looking at the machines in more detail, both machines are 64 bit, one is running 32 Bit OS, its processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU @ 2.80GHz, the one running the 64 Bit OS has Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7250  @ 2.00GHz the difference in use of network resource was surprising between the two machines, even on the local 100mb Ethernet the 64 Bit OS was grabbing 70mb or more, where as the 32 Bit OS seemed to do the same job at only 1.5-2mb of network bandwidth to inventory the same group of machines. We only noticed this issue due to the high volume of helpdesk calls for slow and poor network performance, when we killed the inventory the network came back, running the 32 Bit OS inventory had no impact.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:04 AM
  • I am having trouble trying to recreate this in our lab. I’m getting averages of about 15 Mbps on a 64-bit machine with peaks at 50-60 Mbps, but those are just spikes, not sustained.  What are you using to measure the bandwidth used? Is the 70 Mbps sustained or peak? How many machines are being inventoried? In the Inventory wizard, what scenarios were chosen? What discovery methods?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:35 PM
  • We had this issue again, yesterday, after having scanned some 10 sites with a 32 bit machine without problems, we did a scan from the 64bit machine which slowed the local network to a crawl.

Discovery was set as follows and set to scan a subnet of 255 IP addresses, screen shot below:

Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Since MAP will start as many worker threads as it can with the availble resources on a machine, it is apparently making so many WMI requests that when all those machines try to respond, all of the bandwidth on the WAN is being used up.  I can suggest that you continue to use the 32-bit installation, but if that isn't acceptable, you can email mapfdbk@microsoft.com with the post title in the subject line and I will send you a file that will throttle the maximum number of worker threads to something that won't kill your network link. Be aware that this will cause the inventory process to take longer.

Friday, October 28, 2011 9:40 PM