none
Productionserver datasource enumeration fails on secondary DPM server after Production server is moved to a different primary server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running into the following problem: We run six primary DPM servers (2010) for day-to-day disk-to-disk backups. We have secondary DPM server that replicates from the primary servers business-critical data. Now we moved the protection of a pruduction server from "Primary server 1" to "Primary server 2". We did this bij running setdpmserver.exe on the productionserver and running the attach-productionserver script on "Primary Server 2". On "Promary Server 1" we stopped protection, removed all inactive protection and removed the protection agent.

When we try to configure secondary protection for that production server, on the secondary server it is still visible under "Primary server 1", not under the actual primary server (2). Datasources of the production server cannor be enumerated and secondary protection cannot be configured.

How can we solve this?

Regards,

Klaus

Friday, October 29, 2010 3:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Klaus,

can you please tell us what version are you using? This bug is fixed in one of the QFEs after DPM 2007 Sp1. I would suggest  you to apply latest patch if it is DPM 2007 .

After that  on secondary DPM

you stop protection for all the secondary protected Datasources from that server and try re-protecting them.

This should fix the issue.

Thanks, NikhilKumar.R [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:12 PM

All replies

• Hey Klaus,

We have seen that sometimes you need to run the "install agent" from the primary server 2 to that specific production server again.  That will fix most of the things.  It seems that from time to time, leftovers remain in the registry making the agent on the production server still think that he needs to work with the primary 1 server.

Just my 2 cents,

Cheers,

Mike Resseler

Visit System Center User Group Belgium @ http://scug.be and http://scug.be/blogs/scdpm
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response. However, I'm not sure wether the agent is the problem, since it works fine with the primary DPM server. I rather suspect that there are remainders in the database of the primary server 1.

But I'll test your suggestion and we'll see..

Regards,

Klaus

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Hi Klaus,

can you please tell us what version are you using? This bug is fixed in one of the QFEs after DPM 2007 Sp1. I would suggest  you to apply latest patch if it is DPM 2007 .

After that  on secondary DPM

you stop protection for all the secondary protected Datasources from that server and try re-protecting them.

This should fix the issue.

Thanks, NikhilKumar.R [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:12 PM